27.

Happy Saturday lovelies, hope you're all having a great weekend!

It's the end of fourth period and I still haven't heard from Jake. He's not here today and a part of me is wondering whether he's had a major panic about what happened between us over the weekend. I hope this isn't the case. If he's not ready to come out to everyone yet, then that's okay. We'll make it work.

School was alight with the topic of Jake and I when I arrived this morning. We're the hot topic of the day. Jake's lack of presence sparked rumours that I injured him so bad he ended up in a coma. I rolled my eyes at that. I think they forgot that he walked away from the fight and straight into the principal's office. It's quite entertaining listening to the concoctions people have come up with while I've been away. The even funnier part? No one is even close to guessing the truth.

I spent third class, my free period, filling Kat in about everything. She wanted every, tiny detail and actually squealed when I revealed he asked me out. All I wanted to know was how she's feeling about her and Grant but she dismissed all conversation about her. I make a mental note to keep prying. I don't like friendships that are centred around just one person.

Kat and Ed have a group project meeting that she has dedicated her lunch-time to, so we part ways. I head towards the table with all the footballers. I sit at the end that my close friends are sitting, snagging the end spot on the bench. I throw my phone onto the table and pull my lunch out.

"What's on the menu today?" Thomas asks.

"Ma's spag-bowl leftovers," I reply.

"Delish," he responds. "Beats this soggy, old sandwich that's been in my bag for longer than I care to admit."

I scrunch my nose up. "Dude, don't eat that, you'll get salmonella poisoning. That's chicken, right?"

"I think it was," he replies, holding the moulding sandwich up high so that he can take a better look. "Hmm. Maybe I should go get a pizza instead."

"Maybe," I laugh.

We all chat about the weekend. There was a small gathering at a guy's house that I've been to before but can never remember his name. It doesn't sound like I missed out on much. Everyone wanted to talk about the fight, since I haven't seen many of them since. I didn't bother going to football practise, assuming I was suspended from there, too.

I answer vaguely enough to not lie too much but answer enough to get them off my backs.

"Oi," Guy says to me gruffly, throwing his bag down roughly onto the table.

I feel my body tense in response. I turn my head to him. "Yeah?"

"We gotta' do some project thing together," he states, sniffing, as if he's got a cold.

"Oh really?"

"Yeah. Here's what I've done so far."

He pushes Thomas out of the way, who grunts but doesn't protest.

"Who else is in the group?" I ask.

"Jack and Harry."

I wince. Wow. Is this a part of my punishment, too?

I'm surprised he takes the time to explain the assessment and what our group has done so far. He seems to actually be taking it seriously. We do have to maintain a C above average to be on the team, so that's probably why.

"So, this part is me?" I ask, pointing to the highlight section that has 'Callum' scrawled in messy handwriting at the top.

"Yeah, I have your copy." He rummages through his bag for a moment or so, before handing over a scrunched-up piece of paper with coffee stains.

"Er, thanks."

"Due end of next week so we still got some time, aye."

The way he speaks literally has me cringing but I'm trying not to be annoyed right now. He's doing me a solid by catching me up to speed. I'm sure it's all for his own benefit, but I'm choosing to be positive about it.

When I begin to flatten out the piece of paper, I knock my bag from the seat. I crouch down and begin to pack away my things that have spilled across the floor. The generic iPhone ringtone begins to blare but I don't bother to look at my phone. The only person who would ring me at lunch time is Ma and she has a personalised tone. It was originally the sound of a shark attack but she got offended and made me change it. It's now a screamo band shouting, "I LOVE MY MUM!" Over and over until you answer. Hurts the ears when you're not in easy access to answer straight away.

I manage to get everything back in order. When I straighten, Guy is holding my phone with a weird look on his face. I can't quite read it. Confusion, surprise and something else... something not good.

"You missed a call," he says slowly, his lips twisting into an arrogant looking smirk.

He hands my phone over to me.

One missed call from J 🖤

The picture of us kissing on the surf board takes up the bottom half of the screen. I feel the air leave my lungs. I blink down at it, my brain slowly, slowly catching up to speed. Feeling completely frozen in my skin, I swivel my eyes to where Guy is watching me, an extremely smug look on his face.

Holy shit.

He knows.

-----------------

Thoughts...?

Instagram: laurenj_22

Snapchat: laurenj_22