2.

Jake's POV:

It's a relief to know that this (hopefully) will be the last time I'm sitting at this airport, waiting for my boyfriend to come home.

Seeing him the last two times were more difficult than I imagined. Knowing there was a time limit created so much stress and unnecessary pressure. Having to say goodbye over and over. It's not good for the heart.

Rose and I decided that I'd pick up Callum and she is going to surprise him when we get back to their house with a welcome home party with friends and family. Of course, my selfish ass wants Cal all to myself but I need to be patient and remember that there a lot of important people in his life that are excited to see him, too.

I hear the doors creak open. I shoot to my feet, feeling a little nervous, but mostly excited.

It's been four months since I saw him last.

I impatiently wait as people spill through the room, going towards their loved ones.

Then, I see him.

His hair is long. Kind of too long, but it looks hot as hell. He's wearing my black shirt with a wave emblem on the chest (which I have been searching for the last couple of months) and skinny jeans that enunciate his long legs.

A big smile makes its way onto my lips. He's wearing my shirt.

Ignoring the fact that Rhett is standing far too close to him, I barrel over to him and basically knock Rhett out of the way to hug him. Feeling him against me is a sensation I've been longing for.

We kiss and it's warm and perfect and just how I imagined it to be.

His skin is darker, looking like he's spent almost too long out in the sun. A few freckles that weren't there before are speckled underneath his eyes. He looks older. Even his body seems to have gotten older. Bigger. Firmer.

"Hi," I say to him, folding his hands into mine.

"J," Cal smiles. "I'm so happy to see you."

"Don't make me cry, don't want to look like a pussy in front of your friends," I grin.

He grins back, squeezing my hands. "Where's Ma?"

"At home," I wave off dismissively. "Let's go get your bag."

He frowns for a moment before he smiles at me. He's not dumb, he probably realises what we're doing. There's no chance his Ma would miss picking her son from the airport after all this time. He glances over his shoulder and I follow his gaze to where Rhett is standing with his family. He's staring back at us and I do not like the expression on his face.

Callum looks back to me. "Yeah, let's go. I can't wait to be home."

"Me too," I agree, before pulling him after me.

As we round the corner, I look back. Rhett smirks at me, amusement dancing in his eyes.

As if he knows something that I don't.

***

Callum's POV:

"What is this?" I question when I see cars spilled across our front lawn and lined down the street.

"A lil' something Ma organised," Jake grins.

He reaches for my bags and refuses to let me take them. I roll my eyes and smile at him. He's still bossy, but God it is good to see him.

I can hear the music from outside as I rush up the steps.

"Hey," Grant is the first to greet me, before pulling me in for a hug. His aftershave powerfully hits me. His hair is streaked with blond highlights, presumably from his hours out in the water. He has a summer-glow that he always gets this time of the year. "Good to see you."

"You too," I hug him back.

Kat pushes Grant out of the way and hugs me so hard that I stumble. I let out a laugh as I return her embrace. I feel her nails dig into my bag as she curls her hands into my shirt.

"Kat!" I squeeze her. "How are you?"

"Better now that you're here," she replies earnestly. "How was your flight?"

"Long."

"I bet," she nods, before stepping back to let Ma through.

She offers me a kind, warm smile. The smile that mum's reserve only for their children. I stride to her and gather her in my arms. Her familiar scent washes over me, followed closely with the strong feeling of comfort that I always get when I'm back home. I hug her fiercely to me.

It's a blur of hugs, greetings, cheek kisses and handshakes. I underestimated how many people are here. All I want to do is hear about everything I've missed but I find myself talking about me and my trip over and over. I guess it's more exciting in their eyes than to explain the mundane school gossip that would have circled in my absence. After a couple of hours I finally peel myself away from my group and let myself take a break. I jog upstairs to my room. I take a second to look around. Of course, nothing has changed. I head to my bathroom and take a second to gather myself.

A soft knock on the door draws my attention from staring at my reflection. Jake wanders in.

I don't think I could ever get sick of looking at him. Piercing eyes, sharp jawline, unruly, dark hair.

"Hey."

He walks to me and I pull him to me. I rest my head into the side of his. He's warm and soft. I nuzzle my head into his, kissing him tenderly.

"I'm so happy to be back here with you," I tell him.

"I missed you more than I can ever explain," he sighs, rubbing a comforting hand up my arm.

"Want to go out for dinner tonight?" I ask. "Just us two?"

"Sounds great."

I pull him in for a kiss. I want to kiss him every day for the rest of my life. Going months without this was torture.

"Never leave me again," he mumbles through kisses. "Promise me."

I stroke a hand down the side of his face. Guilt bubbles in my stomach.

If anything, I should be the one asking him that.

Because when he finds out, everything is going to change.

-------------------

Thoughts?

Instagram: laurenj_22

Snapchat: laurenj_22