7.

SOCIALS:

Instagram: laurenj_22

Snapchat: laurenj_22

Tik tok: laurenj_22 

Spotify: laurenj.22

If there was a switch that would allow me to go back in time and undo the stupid mistake of letting myself kiss Rhett back when we were overseas, I would. But I can't and the stress of Jake finding out and hating me is all too real, overwhelming and making me feel sick.

"He sat down with you and invited himself?" Jake arches an eyebrow at me. "That's so weird."

"Yeah."

"He's kind of obsessed with you," he frowns.

"Yeah."

"I don't really want him to come."

"Me either," I sigh, going to sit beside him on the bed. "Maybe we shouldn't go but it would be such a good chance to meet people."

"Would it be rude to go by ourselves and not meet up with the others?" he asks.

"Yes," I laugh. "Maybe I'll tell Bec to meet us here."

"Does that mean Rhett will awkwardly arrive at Bec's dorm and no one would be there?" Jake asks.

"Pretty much."

"Works for me," he shrugs.

It's a bit mean but he's not exactly being that kind to me, either. I shoot Bec a text, informing her of the change of plans.

My front door bangs loudly open. My roommate appears, an arm protectively hugging a carton of beer with a cigarette loosely dangling from his lips. He grins from ear to ear.

"Sup dudes."

"Hey man," Jake greets him, standing. "I'm Jake."

He slaps his free hand into Jake's with a nod. "Spud."

"Cool," Jake replies, reaching out to help Spud lower the carton onto the small dining table stashed in the middle of the room.

"Fancy a beer?" he asks Jake first, before flickering his eyes to me.

"We have some in the fridge, but thanks," Jake answers for us both.

"That's cool, man," Spud says, pointing at one of Jake's tattoos. "I have a similar one."

He pulls his shirt up to reveal a series of large tattoos scattered across his chest. Jake immediately goes into a hundred questions and I tune them out, wandering into my room. I stare at my reflection, fingering my hair in attempt to flatten it.

I grab my last-minute necessities and join the others back in the main part of the apartment.

"You going to that welcome party?" Spud asks.

"Sure am," I answer.

"I'll join, just give me a sec to change."

I withdraw two beers from the fridge, palming one off to Jake. Bec arrives a moment or two later.

"Wow," I smile at her. "You look great."

Bec isn't wearing her glasses and I'm able to see how big and pretty her eyes are. Her long hair is curled in loose waves down her shoulders. She looks quite different from this morning.

"Thanks," she smiles shyly. "Hi, Jake?" she looks to Jake. "I'm Bec, nice to meet you."

"Likewise," Jake replies and I internally groan. His politeness is such a turn on.