13.

I was in the emergency room last night due to an allergic reaction to some cold n flu tablets (was not fun, so itchy and sore) but one good thing came out of lying in the hospital; new ideas for the story. Plus, I get the next two days off work so hopefully I can get some writing done!

Cover by: laz3jay - thank you so much!

The tension is thick in the locker room as we all listen to Coach drone on and on about team work and exploiting our opponent's weakness. I tune in and out as I stretch out my legs, my mind on other things. I feel Jake's eyes on me every now and then but I don't bother to acknowledge him. I'm over the up and down, back and forth with him. It's exhausting.

We're finally released and I take a gulp of the fresh night air. There's a strong bite to the wind tonight but I know I'll be hot and sweaty as soon as I'm out on the field. We gather by the bench and continue to do warm ups. When Guy begins to talk smack about the other team, I walk to my own spot away from any of my team members. I like the game, but I can only tolerate half the team, and that's still only in small doses.

I take a moment to check out the other team. They're all doing much the same as us, stretching and talking amongst themselves. I notice a guy who has also distanced himself from his team. My cheeks flare when I notice he's watching me watching him. I was checking him out and wasn't really subtle about it. Great.

Instead of the reaction I thought I'd get, the boy gives me a smile, his eyes dipping over me. Wait. He's now checking me out? I don't know how this gay thing works. How do you just know, if it's not obvious? Maybe it starts like this.

The boy wanders over to me. I make a mental note to remember his number: nine.

"Hey," he says and I glance back to my team briefly. It's unheard of to be talking to the opposing team before a game.

"Hey," I reply.

"I'm Rhett," he blurts out, looking nervous.

He's cute. He has dark skin, dark eyes and long, black lashes. His lips are big and full, with a sharp jawline. Actually, I'll upgrade him from cute to hot.

"Hi Rhett," I smile. "I've never heard of that name before."

"Yeah, it's an unusual name."

"I'm Callum. Bit less unique."

He half-shrugs. "Probably better than having to spell it out and get strange looks."

"Fair."

"You going out tonight after the game?" he asks.

"Yeah, a guy on the team is having a party at his house."

Rhett nods, looking down at his boots. "Oh, cool."