36.

Is this not Jake's song!? ---> Complicated - Olivia O'Brien (cover of Avril's original)

Waking up in Jake's arms has got to be the best feeling I've ever experienced.

This time, it's different. We're together, people know and he isn't going to freak out, like he usually does. I haven't opened my eyes yet but he somehow senses I'm awake. He moves so that his lips are glued to my temple.

"Morning," he mumbles against my skin.

I hug him tightly to me in response.

"How'd you sleep?" he asks.

"Perfectly."

"Me too," he smiles, flicking me on the nose. "I'm hungry."

"You're always hungry."

"True that."

I exhale a sigh of content. "Last night."

"Last night," he smiles.

"The perfect moment," I whisper.

"Worth the wait."

"Definitely."

I snuggle into his side, his warmth seeping into me. I will never get sick of this. His strong arms. The comfort I feel when they're wrapped around me.

We spend a few more minutes soaking up our time together, before we reluctantly sit up. I shuffle over to the edge as Jake reaches for me. He leans in, offering me a slow, burning kiss that has my mind reeling back to last night and leave me begging for more.

We end up making out, heavily. The sunlight streams through the window, making my bed warm. I'm kissing him urgently, as if I need to kiss him a hundred times to express how much I love him.

"I love you," I say.

"Tell me again," he grins.

"I love you, I love you, I love you," I mumble into his mouth as I kiss him over and over again.

"Tell me every day," he says as I lightly bite his neck.

"Babe, I'll tell you every hour," I murmur mid-bite.

"Do we ever have to leave this bed?"

"Nah, let's stay here forever."

He chuckles and it's a deep, warm chuckle that I've never heard from him. It melts my heart to see him happy. I honestly think this is the happiest he's ever been. It's something I want him to feel for the rest of his life.

We share one last, long kiss, before collapsing back into the mattresses, breathless. A loud gurgle interrupts our silence and Jake slaps his hand to his stomach, an adorable, sheepish smile fighting its way onto his mouth.

I smile. "Let's go eat."

I scoop up the white shirt that was discarded last night and throw it on.

"That's my shirt," Jake states.

I grin. "Yeah. I know."

He rolls his eyes and reaches for mine. I find it incredibly hot when he yanks it over his head. It clings to him almost too well. I force myself to stop staring.

I follow Jake downstairs and we head to the kitchen.

"Sit, I'm cooking."

"I'll cook," I insist.

"I want to spoil you."

"You already did," I raise my eyebrows.

He grins. "Continue to, then."

I thread my fingers through his hair as I pass. "Okay then, Chief."

I leave Jake to it and head out the back to where Charlie is lazing across the grass, sunbaking.

"Oi boofhead," I call out.

He lets out a yelp of surprise as he scrambles to his paws. He almost knocks me over as his claws slide across the timber deck. I trot down to the pen and let the chooks out. They follow me all the way up to the back deck, where I spread out food for them.

"Cute," Jake says with a smile as he leans on the back door. "Cal, the little farm boy."

I offer him a crooked grin. "I have many layers."

I wrap my arm around him as we walk back to the kitchen, the delicious smell of food wafting through the house.

"Ma left you a note," he says, inclining his head to a couple of envelopes and a post-it note.

Morning! Out for breakfast, be back later. Mail came for you x

"Anything exciting?" Jake asks.

First one is telling me I'm overdue for my routine dental exam, the second is one that makes my heart drop.

"I'm due to have my teeth cleaned," I say, snapping them together, trying to remain calm as I casually open the other one.

Jake begins telling me about an experience he once had at the dentist but I don't listen. My eyes skim over the words, barely processing them. I applied for an exchange program last year that offers three people from each school in the state to get the opportunity to study overseas, teaching disadvantage, non-English-native kids. It's an incredibly competitive program that I thought I had no chance at.

Until now.

Congratulations, you have been selected!

It was sort of a backup option. Medical was still on my mind, but I had been having a lot of doubts and had applied for this on a whim. The room is spinning around me as I re-read the sentence, trying to process this. I look up, to see Jake still talking, laughing even, as he flips the bacon.

My stomach sinks painfully.

This is going to ruin everything.

-------------------

Don't :) Hate :) Me :)

Instagram: laurenj_22

Snapchat: laurenj_22