32.

Legit just wrote these last two on the spot but I'm feeling generous so yea have a third update yeeeha it's my bday bitchesssss

Jake's POV:

"You look so much like him."

I flick the rag over my shoulder as I turn to face Scott, my new boss and former landlord. I offer him a semi-polite smile. The best I can do, anyway.

"I get that a lot."

"You been keeping out of trouble?" he asks. "Well, other than the expulsion thing."

I shrug as I begin to load the used glasses into the dishwasher. "I guess."

I've picked up work at Scott's Bar, where Haze used to work and where we used to rent the room upstairs. Seems like a lifetime ago. Since I'm no longer at school, I thought I may as well pick up some work.

"Haze rings me from time to time," Scott says as he withdraws a cigarette from his back pocket. "He's a good kid."

"He's all right," I nod.

Scott cracks me a grin. "He looked after you, mate. He's more than all right."

I nod. I know that, I'm just not good at showing it.

A guy leans over the bar and places his schooner under the SuperDry tap and begins to fill their drink. I casually walk towards him.

"You can't do that, man."

"I can," he says and his voice sounds a little odd but I can't quite explain how.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah, I work here."

He looks up at me and I blink at him for a few seconds, having the same feeling again.

"Oh, I didn't know."

"Heard we had some new blood. Your brother is a legend around here."

I nod, leaning onto the sticky bench. "I've heard."

"Have you figured it out yet?" he asks.

"Hmm?"

He grins. "What's different about me?"

I shake my head.

"I was Ciarra," he says. "Now I'm Caleb."

"Huh?"

He grins, leaning forward. "I'm trans."

"Come again?" I question in confusion.

"Scott, where'd you find this one? He's not the brightest bulb in the tanning bed."

"Leave him alone, wouldya'?" he asks before wandering out the back.

"Transgender, ever heard of it?" Caleb asks me and then it makes sense.

"Oh," I say. "Er, yeah, of course I've, er, heard."

Caleb laughs. "You don't need to be awkward about it, or nothin'."

"Sorry."

"Don't be, I know it's a bit... weird, at first," he says and runs his finger over his tattooed knuckle. "Tell me about yourself, new blood."

"Jake."

I hold my hand out and Caleb shakes it with one firm shake.

"And?" he presses. "Go on."

"And what?"

"Well, are you at school? Are you seeing anyone? How long have you been here?"

"Just got expelled, I don't really know and like, three days, I think."

"How can you not know if you're seeing someone?"

"I had a... someone," I awkwardly say. "It's complicated."

"When isn't it?" he says with an eye roll. "Boy or girl?"

"Hmm?" I ask distractedly.

"Boy, right?"

My hands freeze. "What?"

"You're gay," he grins. "Hard to tell but I can see it. Just."

"I have no idea what you're talking about."

"Right," he grins. "You've got drama written all over you, boy."

I ignore him and immerse myself in work for the next couple of hours. Caleb comes and goes, floating around the bar, making friends as he pleases. He has the kind of confidence you see in movies.

It's near the end of my shift, when Caleb stumbles to the bar. "Make up with your boyfriend. Life's too short."

"Okay."

"I mean it," he slurs, leaning over the bar and gripping my shirt. "You never know when you'll lose them. For good. There's always someone there waiting to take them from you."

I detach myself from Caleb and walk out the back, my head feeling overloaded.

He's not wrong.

***

"Hey, man, what are you up to?"

"Hey Jake," Grant replies. "Dying of Influenza A. It's not a fun time."

"Oh shit, are you all right?"

"Surviving, barely. How you doing?"

"Yeah, okay," I answer. "I was calling to see if you want to hang but sounds like you're out for the count."

"Yeah, sorry man," he sighs. "Haven't moved from the lounge for three days."

"Yikes."

"Have you talked to Callum?" he asks. "He's a mess."

My foot trips over the other. "Why?"

"You know why."

I swallow the lump in my throat. "You know?"

"Yeah."

"He told you?" I ask, my voice small.

"Yeah. I knew there was someone. Didn't know it was you for a long time."

I try to think of something to say, before running my hand through my hair. Holy shit. Grant knows. Two people in one night. This is... too much.

"It's okay, you know."

"What is?"

"To be in love with him," he says. "The world isn't like it used to be."

I press my lips into the back of my hand and squeeze my eyes shut. I don't have the strength to reply.

"You know what he's doing today, right?"

"No."

"Kat and I have been helping him and his Ma fight to get you back into school. He had to make a big, official statement today about it all."

"What do you mean?" My breath is coming out in short, sharp pants.

"He's coming out," he says. "For you."

I stumble and slide down the wall. I clutch at my chest, my heart rapidly trying to leap out.

"Holy shit," I breathe.

"Yeah," Grant replies and I can see him doing his one-shoulder shrug. "So, you should probably call him back. You two are so into each other that it's, like, almost unbearable to be in the same room as you."

The world is spinning.

"So, like, man up and make him yours," he continues. "Before it's too late."

-------------

What do you think about Jake's new job? And Caleb?

Instagram: laurenj_22

Snapchat: laurenj_22