31.

Callum's POV:

I feel restless as I take a seat in class, the last few minutes spinning through my mind.

A part of me knows that Rhett wouldn't do what he said he would, he's simply messing with us. But the hard facts are there: Rhett has hurt Jake and he could easily do it again. And it would be worse this time.

"Callum?"

My knee jiggles restlessly and I've chewed at my thumbnail so much that it's started to bleed.

"Callum?"

What is Jake doing right now? Not much, probably, considering he is still in hospital. At least he is safe there.

A throat clears above my desk and I look up to see my tutor staring down his nose at me with a displeased expression on his face. I, too, notice most eyes are on me. I must have been making frustrated sounds aloud and it also appears I've missed a direct question.

"Huh?"

His eyebrows raise further, clearly not approving of my response.

"I only ask for an hour of your time a week, Mr Browning. If that is too much to ask for, you know where the door is."

I shrink a little in my seat and scowl. He continues the discussion and I try my best to focus.

When he dismisses everyone, we all gather our things and he makes a 'tsk' sound with his tongue, shaking his head.

"Not you."

I inwardly groan and collapse back onto my seat as everyone around me files out of the room.

"You weren't present in class today," he says to me. "You also haven't submitted the essay that was due yesterday."

I exhale, covering my face with my hands. "Shit."

"Language."

"The essay. It totally slipped my mind."

"What's going on?"

"I've had a personal crisis happen."

"I can give you an extension."

I shake my head. "The essay is done, I just needed to touch up a few things before submitting it. I'll have it in by tonight."

"All right," he says softly.

I swing my bag over my shoulder and he clears his throat.

"Callum."

I turn to face him and he is holding a card to me. I take it and look down.

"Have a think about it. Might do you some good."

I wordlessly nod and leave the room, rolling the card over in my hand.

He wants me to see a counsellor.

"Wouldn't be the first time," I mutter, before throwing the card in the closest bin.

***

The next day was filled with uniforms, questions, stale donuts and a lot of waiting around.

I made a formal statement against Rhett and the officer advised me–due to the CC footage on campus of gathered evidence of him following me along with Jake's statement of the attack–I have enough of a case to get an Apprehended Violence Order (AVO) out on him and considering the brutality of Jake's attack, he has placed one as well.

Rhett is supposed to be issued the papers tomorrow and we all need to attend court on the 17th of this month. I am dreading every moment leading up to it. I never thought things would ever get to this point.