35.

New songs added to our playlist 🖤🎼

"A date?" Ma questions with a quirked eyebrow

"That's what he said."

"How very... formal of him," she smiles.

"I'm feeling kind of nervous?" I say to her in confusion. "I don't know why."

She leans onto the kitchen bench and smooths out the tea-towel across the surface as she thinks for a moment.

"Maybe because this is the first time you two are being 'normal'," she replies using quotation marks. "'Normal' isn't the right word but you know what I mean."

"Yeah," I mutter. "It's a bit scary, being out in the open now. If we fight, everyone is going to know about it."

"That's normal, honey," she smiles. "No relationship is perfect."

I finish my beer and Ma swipes at the bottle and tosses it into the recycling bin. She said I'm allowed to have one.

"Another?" I tease.

She shakes her head. "Not for you."

I pout. "No fun."

"You look very handsome tonight," she compliments. "That blue looks great on you."

"You reckon?" I ask, looking down at my outfit.

I'm wearing a button up shirt and dress shoes. I settled with dark-wash jeans though, not to look too over-the-top. It's hard to predict what Jake is going to wear but I'm sure he will be in his trademark slit-at-the-knee jeans.

"Definitely," she nods. "What time is he coming?"

"Seven," I answer, glancing to the wall clock, which reveals its quarter-to.

I drum my fingers against the bench top as I watch the clock tick.

"Don't be nervous, Cal, it's just Jake," she says.

I give her a crooked grin. Little does she know how nervous this boy makes me. I'm wondering if I ever won't feel nervous around him.

A knock at the front door startles me. Ma gives me a broad grin.

"Have fun!"

I grab my coat, flinging it over my arm, before I walk to the door. Jake stands there with an adorable smile on his face. He's dressed in a dark grey button-up shirt and I grin when I see it's paired with his signature ripped jeans. He looks stylish, hot and bad ass, all at the same time. Everything I want, wrapped up in a neat package.

"You look hot," I state matter-of-factly.

He smiles, combing his hand through his hair. "Didn't really know what to wear on a date."

"What you're wearing is perfect," I say, leaning in and stealing a kiss from him.

He captures my face as I lean back, to kiss me a little longer. I press my forehead to his, our breaths mingling.