33.

Song for this chapter: Phases by PrettyMuch

I can't believe I did it.

My heart beats erratically in my chest as I stand there, their eyes on me.

I told them.

My mouth is dry and I snake my tongue around the inside.

They all know.

Mrs Hedge, one of my favourite teachers at school, gives me encouraging smile.

It's done.

I can feel a bead of sweat dripping down the back of my neck.

When I started, my voice was soft, quiet, intimidated. But then I remembered I'm Callum fucking Browning and no one is going to make me feel intimidated.

The silence is thick in the air as my voice grows stronger and louder with each word.

I don't hold back when I describe what Guy did to me. Their faces mirror the horror I knew they would.

"Coming out is the most terrifying thing I've ever been through," I conclude, staring directly into our principal's eyes. "We shouldn't have to fear coming to school and getting beat up because of who we love. Having Jake there, defending and protecting me was the only thing that got me through. And now he's being punished far worse than the person who started it all. I know it's easy to think the worst of people when they've had terrible pasts. You expect them to be bad people. But that's not how life works. Because Jake got dealt a bad hand, doesn't make it right that he should be forever punished for it. He's the hero in this story and he deserves to be treated like one."

I distinctly remember the silence that followed my words, before the murmuring began.

The kind words, the reassuring hands on my shoulders, even one teacher gave me a hug.

"You're a brave young boy," Mrs Hedge smiles at me.

"If you don't stand up for what you believe in, nothing will change," I tell her.

"You're very wise for your age, Callum. I'll remember this when recommending you to university and internships in the future."

She touches my arm briefly, before moving back to where the rest of the teachers are sitting.

I'm excused after that.

And now, we wait.

***

Jake's POV:

"I love you."

I hear his words. They're so clear in my mind it's like he's shouting it at me again, this very second.

It was such a monumental moment and I turned my back on him.

I could barely see straight, let alone think, after seeing Rhett and him. I wanted to strangle that innocent-looking smirk straight off Rhett's face.

I hope I'm doing the right thing. I love him so God-damn much. I don't want to lose him but this shouldn't be so hard.

Exhaling, I look to my phone. I stare at the photo I have of him, that he didn't know I took. He's lying on the mattress at Haze's house, his arm tucked behind his head, a peaceful smile on his face and the white sheet crumpled across the lower part of his body.

He is the most beautiful boy I've ever seen.

Not seeing him or talking to him has got to be the worst thing I've ever endured. I miss him like I miss air when I'm underwater. It's a feeling so utterly consuming I'm afraid it really might kill me.