11.

*** New Part for those of you here from Darker Than Sin ***

As I shut my locker door, I turn, to see Jake walking down the main school hallway. His bruise looks even harsher under the lights. People are whispering, watching, eyes flickering between us. Questions as to why we had the fight, wondering what will happen next.

It's as if time slows when he passes me. His eyes connect with mine. I casually roll up my sleeve but don't break my stare. His eyes duck over me once and every inch of my skin feels alight with fire as he does. Damn. How can he make my body ignite with one look, whereas a beautiful girl making out with me doesn't make me feel anything? The corner of his mouth tilts into a smirk. Then, he's gone. Just as fast as he arrived.

Eyes are on me as I shrug my bag onto my shoulder and walk from the hallway. It must look like a testosterone match between us. If only people knew.

Absently, I rub my hand. It feels a little stiff in the cold air this morning.

"Hey bad ass," Katryn greets me with a light punch to the shoulder. "Your fight has gone viral."

"Has not," I roll my eyes.

"Okay, maybe not viral, but it's all everyone is talking about."

"People need to get lives," I point out, not that I really care. "Speaking of gossip, do tell, please."

Her lips slap shut abruptly and she looks down to her dress-code-forbidden Dr Martens. "Not sure what you mean."

"You know exactly what I mean."

Knowing she can't get out of it, she exhales. "Why did you do that, by the way?"

"Dare you to seven minutes in Heaven?" I ask. She nods. "Well, I was drunk so that influenced my decision. But honestly, I just wanted you two to talk and sort out this ridiculous issue. I'm sick of being the one in the middle."

Her face softens. "I'm sorry, Cal. I know that must be hard."

"I was hoping it would go well, didn't expect it to go that well," I grin, nudging her with my elbow.

She lets out a laugh. "It was unexpected, that's for sure."

"I didn't know you still had feelings for him."

"Well, they never really went away. The anger I felt was just the hurt. I miss him all the time, but hate him, too. If that makes sense."

More than ever.

I nod. "And?"

"And, I guess, he kind of felt the same way. We were both just too proud to admit it. Until we were actually alone."

"And?" I probe again.

"And we both apologised and I cried and he comforted me and then he hugged me and he was close and smelled nice and I kissed his cheek, I don't know why, and then we were kissing on the mouth and... it was pretty great," she rambles, her cheeks turning a light shade of pink. "And don't say I told you so or anything, okay?"

"Hey Kat?"

"Yeah?"

"I told you so."

She flicks me on the nose. "Ass."

***

Despite realising that, yes, I definitely and one-hundred percently (not a word but let's go with it) want something with Jake, I have also made the decision that he needs to want it, too. Not just a secret, off-the-record, make out session when we're drunk. Like a proper, actual relationship.