9.

sorry in advance.........

"You want me to wear what now?"

"A sheet."

"Why on earth would I go to a party wearing only a sheet?" Jake asks in bewilderment.

I laugh. "Because that's the theme. It's a toga party."

"I don't get it."

"It's just something they do. You're coming."

He huffs, sitting back in his chair. "Fine. But I'm wearing shorts underneath."

"You can wear shorts underneath," I confirm.

As it's the first official week of uni, our campus is throwing another meet-and-greet party, which is themed this time. Jake, Bec, Spud and myself are situated in our small living room.

"The things I do for you," Jake mutters, staring down at the sheet I have laid out before him.

Bec giggles. "Have you never heard of a toga party before?"

"Clearly not."

I frown at his tone. Jake must have realised how he sounded as he quickly made a joke. When I first met him, he wouldn't have cared enough to have done that.

We finish our pre-drinks, stacking our empty bottles into a neat pile. The air is cool as we walk and do one final check to make sure the sheet is hiding everything it's supposed to.

Every person we see is also dressed like us and soon Jake doesn't find it all so weird. Him and Spud walk together and I take the chance to check in with Bec to see how she is doing with everything.

"I love having such a quiet space to study. My house was always so noisy," she explains. "Even the library, it's filled with people but it's so silent. I love it."

"That's great," I smile at her. "How were your first classes?"

"Really good. The work load expected of us is a bit daunting but once I get myself into a routine, I'll be fine."

"I know what you mean. Forty hours a week we're meant to focus on studying and that's not even including attending classes," I shake my head. "And then they throw us these cool parties and expect us to still put in those forty hours of study."

Bec laughs. "Yeah, not going to happen."

Clumps of people have migrated near the pool. It's much the same set-up to the first welcome party, simply trade clothes for sheets.

Jake loops arm with me and pulls me close to him. "Spud has some party favours back at the room, if you're interested."

"Huh?" I ask.

"You know, party favours," he emphasises the words.

I look to Jake to read his expression. "I'm good. Thanks."

We both stare at each other for a moment before he nods and lets go of his hold on me. I feel confused – I've never been interested in that type of thing. Jake walks back to Spud without another word and the two begin talking quietly. I frown at them, wondering what the hell is going on.

"Hey!" a voice to my left says and I reluctantly drag my eyes from them. "I think I'm in your intro to communication class. I'm Lena." The girl is absolutely stunning – beautiful dark skin with flowing black hair framing her face. She smiles at me, revealing two rows of very straight, white teeth.

"Oh hey," I smile back. "I'm Callum."

"Nice outfit," she grins. "Wanted to break from the traditional white, too?"