3.

"Tell me I look hot."

I glance up from my phone to see Katryn standing awkwardly at her bedroom door, fiddling with her fingers, which is a rare but nervous habit of hers. I haven't seen her look this insecure... ever.

Katryn is the type of girl to wear jeans all-year-round and clothes that hide away any curves she has. Her pixie hair-cut and dark eyeliner give her a little goth vibe, but her warm, blue eyes seem to counteract the darkness. And, her kind smile. It's hard to see as her punk-rock when she has puppy-dog eyes and a smile that convinces you everything is all right in the world. But hey, that's my opinion. Some might think she's scary.

Tonight, she's ditched the tattered jeans and concert-merchandise shirts for a tight black dress that shows off her petite waist and long legs. The dress has gold lines running down it, breaking up the darkness. She still has her legs covered in dark stockings and her signature boots planted on her feet, but the dress makes her look so much more feminine than she usually does. Her hair is straight, her lips pink and hell, she's even got some blush on.

"That bad?" she frowns self-consciously, looking down at herself.

"Wow," I say, pushing myself off her bed. I walk to her and fold her hand into mine. I lightly push against her so that she twists her body. "You look amazing."

Her cheeks flush dark red, right down to her neck. I blink at her for a moment. Kat doesn't get shy or embarrassed. Going to Grant's party with me tonight must really be a big deal to her. I knew it was, but not this extreme.

"Really?"

"Really," I confirm, my eyes dipping over her. "You look great."

She beams up at me and I squeeze her hand, before releasing it. I stroll back to her bed and collapse onto it.

"I just want to look better than usual, y'know? Probably seems really dumb," she mumbles, twisting a bit of her hair around her finger.

I shake my head. "Not at all. I want to look good, too."

"You always look good," she rolls her eyes. "Your body is the perfect amount of thinness mixed with muscle tone. You have swoon-worthy eyes, your dark hair contrasts amazing with your skin and your jaw bone," she physically puts her fist into her mouth. "Girls write teen fiction stories about that damn jaw line of yours."

I grin at her. "Wow. Remind me to come to you if I ever need a pep talk."

Once Kat and I became good friends, she confessed to me that she liked me as more than a friend, before realising I was gay. She's very open with how attractive she thinks I am and how much of a perfect boyfriend I would be. As much as I wish I could love her like that, my brain and heart are just not wired that way.

She smiles back. "You look nice, by the way."

I look down at myself. I'm wearing black jeans with slits in the knees and a plain white shirt. Nothing special. I have a light blue denim jacket to wear outside and my vans. I honestly didn't put much thought into the outfit but Katryn assures me I pull off the 'effortless hot as fuck' look, whatever that means.

"Thanks," I reply, before patting the spot beside me. "Come here."

When she sits beside me, her perfume washes over me. Katy Perry? No... Ariana Grande? Yes. Girly perfume for a not-so-girly girl, but she pulls it off anyway. I've come to know a lot of different perfumes having Kat as my best friend.

"No matter what happens tonight, we're there to have fun, okay?" I say to her tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. "If something happens and you want to go, no matter what I'm doing, come and get me, okay?"