14.

No idea why I'm suddenly obsessed with this song again but the song for this chapter is: Crystalised by the XX

Thank you so much to everyone sending in covers for this story! They're all so incredible! And thank you for the well wishes. I'm still really sick but slowly getting better :-)

Cover by: Ssstevey - thank you so much! <3

The walls of the house are shaking when I enter. The air is stale with perfume, body odour and alcohol. I weave my way through sweaty bodies and loud conversations. I feel the vibrations from the music move up my body as I head to the kitchen.

Jake is propped up on the kitchen island, a can of rum in one hand, a cigarette in his other. Two girls who I don't know are hanging off him. I barely even look up as I reach into the cooler bag that Grant brought, withdrawing two drinks.

"Got a light?" Jake asks and I know it's just an excuse to get my attention.

"Nope," I reply, as Rhett hovers by the kitchen doorway, looking adorably nervous and only a dash out of place.

I raise a can in his direction, to show I got him one. I don't look back to Jake as I walk out with Rhett. I lead him away from the crowd and out the back. The night air has a frosty bite to it, so most people are inside where it's warm.

"Thanks," he says as he takes the can from me.

"Easier to talk out here," I unnecessarily explain before taking a sip.

"Agreed."

Two girls come stumbling out onto the porch, holding each other up. My eyes register that the blonde ponytail belongs to Alice.

"Hi boys!" her friend shrieks at us with a giggle, before running down the steps.

"Cal," Alice smiles, before wrapping her long arms around me. She plants a sloppy kiss on my cheek, before darting after her friend.

"Girlfriend?" Rhett asks awkwardly, looking uncomfortable.

I scratch my head. "Er, no." I try to look back at him but my eyes suddenly can't go higher than the floor. "Um. I'm not... well..."

"Not into girls?" he whispers.

And suddenly, my eyes are on his. "Well, yeah. Pretty much."

Rhett nods. "Cool. Me either."

A smile fights its way onto my mouth. "Cool."

"I'm pretty awkward with all of this," Rhett laughs. "If you can't tell."

"Don't worry, me too. I'm not really 'out' yet."

"I kind of am. My friends know but it's not really school-wide knowledge, yet."