19.

Thank you to she_anonymous18 for saying All I Want by Kodaline reminds her of Jake and Callum -- I totally agree! I love that song. 

Callum's POV:

The last two nights I have slept well. I know it's because of Jake. The fact that he has chosen to forgive me feels like a weight has been lifted off my chest. Now, it's up to me, to spend the rest of my life making it up to him.

My door suddenly bangs open and I startle. Jake strides into my room and without a word, yanks at the blinds. The bright, morning sun floods the room and I yelp, throwing the blanket over my face like a shield.

"Get up," orders Jake.

"Why?" I whine.

"We're going on an adventure."

"Adventure?" I peep over the blanket curiously.

"Yep. Pack your bag."

After a stretch, I push myself to my feet and begin throwing things into my travel bag.

"Pack for an overnight stay," he says.

Immediately, I think of class, assignments and study time before a sharp voice interjects. Fuck it. I push all responsibility away and finish packing within ten minutes. I'm ahead in all my classes anyway.

I shower and change from my old football shorts into jeans and a long-sleeved shirt. When I come out of my room, Jake is walking through the front door, holding two takeaway coffee cups.

"Please," I groan, taking it from him.

"Don't sip it yet," he warns me.

I bite my cheek. That's a role reversal right there.

"Where are we going?" I ask as we lock the door behind us.

"Can't say."

"Why not?"

"I want it to be a surprise," he answers.

The morning air nips at my exposed skin but the coffee is warming me up with each sip. I toss my bag into the back of Jake's car and climb into the passenger seat. The car is still relatively warm from his drive here, but I rub my hands together anyway as I wait for him to re-start the engine.

We begin to drive and I take in this moment. Sipping my coffee, the music playing, the sun filtering in through the windows but most of all: Jake. He has one hand on the wheel, one loosely holding the gear stick as we drive through town.

"What are you staring at?" he asks, glancing to me.

"You."

"Why?"

"Just appreciating how lucky I am to have you."

I'm surprised to see his cheeks redden slightly as he gazes forward. He doesn't say anything but I can see him trying not to smile. He wouldn't admit it, but he loves when I'm a little cheesy.

"Why the sudden trip away?" I ask after driving for quite some time in a comfortable silence. I've been taking in the blurred trees and road signs passing us. The countryside is beautiful out this way.

Jake shrugs. "Thought it would be fun."

"It's a good idea."

"I want us to travel a bit. Explore, you know? But it's hard when we don't have any money."

I laugh. "Yeah. We can do things like this more, though. We don't have to be in a foreign country to go exploring."

"That's true."