5.

His car smells like him. It's almost overwhelming and it takes me back years ago to when we used to hang out.

When he drives, his leaves one hand on the gear stick and the other looped carelessly over the steering wheel, as if he barely has the energy to hold onto it.

His window is down and the cold night air is spilling through between us. I wipe my palms on my jeans despite this. The nerves are all-consuming.

"So," I say awkwardly. "Did you have fun last night?"

He flicks his eyes to me, the corner of his mouth twitching. "Yeah. You?"

We both feel the unsaid part of my sentence – the part about us. "Yeah."

He's so close. It's not far to reach and touch him. My finger twitches. I prop my foot onto the door and look out the window.

The drive is short. We pull up at a secluded beach that only the locals know about. Wordlessly, he exits the car and moves to lean on the hood of the car. I do the same. The wind slaps my cheeks and I fold my arms over my chest to protect myself from the cold.

"Dad brought me here once," Jake says quietly.

I look over to him.

"It was a drug deal. He brought me along to give it to the guy. I don't know why. Maybe it was supposed to look less suss a kid being involved."

I press my lips together. I don't know what to say.

"I was being stupid. I dropped a bag. Because I had been playing with it, the seal was open. Cocaine went all onto the ground. He was so angry."

Jake rolls up his sleeve. The dim light of a nearby street lamp reveals three rough scars, looking like the shape of cigarette burns.

"He burnt me and then left me here. I had to walk home."

I don't realise my hand is covering my mouth until I feel my own warm breath hit my lips.

"Did Haze know?" I whisper.

He shakes his head. "I never told him. He would have killed AJ."

I squeeze my eyes shut and hang my head.

"I've... never told anyone."

My eyes lift to meet his. Jake moves his hand. Our fingers brush. I swallow and look down at them.

"Is it okay if we just sit here for a while?" Jake asks, his voice low.

"Sure."

Holding my breath, I throw an arm around his shoulders. He tenses at first and I think to myself great, I blew it, before he leans his head onto me. He's warm and smells good. I close my eyes and let myself indulge in this moment.

"Tell anyone about this and I'll kick your ass," he mutters.

I roll my eyes. And there's the Jake I know.

***

We stayed at the beach until about ten. We spent most of it talking. Some parts in silence, holding each other. I don't know which I prefer.

When he pulls up at the end of my driveway, he looks out the window.

Mum isn't home yet, which means the night must be going well.

"Do you want to come in?" I ask.

"Come in?"

"And stay?"