Save Yourself

A/N

Sorry guys I had this chapter written already so I decided to post it up early, especially since its Friday night and I have nothing better to do.

So, this chapter has a trigger warning, um I don't really know HOW Ashton suffered through depression but I know he used to cut so please forgive me if a make a mistake. Also I'm just making up the reasons he was depressed, I don't actually know why he was depressed so yea. But I hope you guys enjoy!

Ashton's POV

Those cuts brought so many memories back to me. I used to do that too. I know she saw me notice them, but she quickly took the bracelet, put it on and looked away.

I continued to think about my past. I was so depressed. I had so many dreams and goals but was always put down. I thought I was worthless.

"Ashton?" I snap out of my day dream mode and look at Thea, snapping in my face.

She smiles, "Let's go! Mr. Leja is here."

I nod and get up, I had to talk to Mel. I don't want her to keep doing this.

We walk out to the back and I see Mel.

She meets my eyes but looks away, as if she's trying to avoid me.

"Good Afternoon everyone! I'm Mr.Leja and I'll be your tour guide this evening. I actually have someone checking out the road we'll be going down making sure there's no rattlesnakes or anything dangerous."

He keeps talking about the safety procedures and stuff, I just need to find a way to pull Mel to the side.

"So we're just gonna wait a few minutes before we leave, until my assistant gets back. By the way, everyone this is my daughter Melanie. She'll also be helping you today won't you Mel?"

She nods and smiles so sweetly. I guess its true what they say, the ones that are most broke inside smile the biggest.

"Ladies and gentlemen you may go back inside to the lounge for a while, this may take a while." He says referring to his assistant checking out the road.

Perfect time.

We walk in and Melanie comes with us.

"Melanie, can I talk to you, alone?"

She looks at me blankly for a while then gets up. I hold her hand like she's a child taking her outside.

Its quiet, nobody in sight.

"How are you Melanie?" I ask calmly.

"Amazing!" She says smiling.

"Really? Great. How's school? Don't lie about this please?"

"Its fine. I mean, everyone hates school so I can't say its amazing."

"Mel, I know your secret. Stop pretending everything's fine."

She takes the smile off her face, and holds her wrist in her arm. I take her hand and take off each bracelet. She stares at her wrist, letting out a few tears.

Once everything is off her wrist, I show her her hand.

"Mel, this hurts me. Why?"

"You wouldn't understand" she says looking away.

"Dammit Melanie look." I show her my wrist, it looks clean, I rub my wrist with my thumb to take off all the make-up on it.

It uncovers dark scars. They're old. I still cover them.

I show them to Melanie and her eyes widen, "But Ashton, why did you?"

"I'll tell you if you tell me." I say.

She walks over to a rock and sits. I walk right behind her and stand in front of her.

"I never fit in. I was always that girl switching schools because my family moved a lot. Every school I went to was another story. People would say, 'oh she switched schools because she was expelled' or 'shes a foster child.' They're all lies. I lived in California until I was 6. Then moved to Texas and lived there until I was 10. Now I live in Arizona, and I'm 13. Middle school is like hell. I have no one. Its my first year at this new school. Everybody picks on me because I'm the new kid. They call me fat, ugly, worthless, stupid, and a whole bunch of other things. It really gets to me. I go home and cry, I cut to make everything feel better, and it works."

I try to process it all through my head. She's such a beautiful young girl. How could people be so mean?

"I told you my story, what's yours?"

I sigh, I've never told anyone exactly how I felt, but with people like Melanie, you can't lie to them.

"I was in high school. I also felt like I never fit in. I had so many dreams of becoming a drummer, but no one actually believed in me. I felt so alone, I started getting depressed. I had depression and cut myself. And yea, when you cut you feel like your stress free. It feels so amazing. "

I stop there looking at Mel, clearly interested in what I'm saying.

"But Ash, your dreams actually did come true. I'm stuck living with my family, going to different schools. My life is going no where! I have nothing to look forward to." She says her voice cracking towards the end.

I kneel down, facing her, tears streaming down her face.

"Ash, I'm a failure at life."

"Melanie don't say that. You're amazing. Your ridiculously beautiful, and anyone who tells you otherwise is completely blind. You have a right to show the world something its never seen before. You're worth it."

I grab both her hands in my hands and look at the cuts.

Some are red, fresh.

Others look months old.

It brings tears to my eyes, seeing she does something like this.

"Melanie stop. You have a purpose in life. You just haven't found it yet. I thought I would fail at life, now look at me now, traveling the world, playing drums. Your dreams will come true Mel. I just don't want to see your life cut short." I say.

She looks me straight in the eyes, her beautiful hazel eyes.

"Ashton, but I can't."

"Yes you can. I believe in you." I grab her wrist, kiss it and put all her bracelets back on.

I hug her, "I believe in you."