~Thirty-Five~

Faelyns POV

I woke up to the loud ringing of my phone. Groaning out in annoyance I snatched it off of the side table and answered it without checking the number.

"Yellope? Faelyn Carter's here" I said automatically, my voice strained and tired as I blinked at the light creeping through the blinds. "Hey Fae, c-could you come over?" Jack asked, his voice quiet as my eyes shot open in excitement.

I hung up without reply before bolting out of bed, Bullet waking up and sprinting down the stairs behind me in excitement.

My mom ended up letting me keep the dog as long as I took care of it and she claimed she didn't care about it because she was busy with work but I didn't fail to catch her sneak into my room one night to steal the dog and feed him treats then cuddle with him for the night.

So I think she loves him.

I unlocked the door, still in my pyjamas as i walked down the sidewalk, Bullet behind me without a leash. He was smart and he never ran away so I trusted him to go on walks without one.

I arrived a short time later at his front door, knocking on it as I waited patiently with my eyes screwed shut and my arms out for his signature greeting hug while I heard the door open.

Nothing came.

I peeked an eye open as my heart dropped at the sight in front of me.

"Jack!" I squeaked, the boy stood slouched, his face bruised and a few cuts were drawing blood on his face as his own knuckles were a dark pink. "Fae" he breathed out breathlessly, I instantly lunged forwards to gently bring him into the safety of the house.

"Jack what the hell happened?" I asked, shutting the door behind us as my eyes searched his for answers, he only kept his gaze averted, never once meeting mine.

"Let's clean you up-but don't think I won't ask you about it after" I admitted gently, Bullet following behind, the tapping of his nails on the hardwood floor soothing in this situation.

I brought Jack to the bathroom where I sat him on the toilet seat. "I'm gonna go grab the first aid kit and a change of clothes so you can have a shower after, okay?" I asked quietly.

"Okay.. thanks Faelyn" he murmured, looking down as his curls shielded his face, my heart breaking further as I left the room and jogged upstairs to retrieve the clothes and the first aid.

I walked back downstairs, entering the bathroom and shutting and locking the door behind me-for some reason I needed reassurance that we were safe-even if we were in his own home.

I opened the kit up, taking out some ointment for his wounds and dripping some onto a soft cloth before dabbing them over his cuts as my hand gently cupped his chin.

I felt his eyes burning into my face and I couldn't help but look at him as I wiped away at a busted cut on his lip, my thumb running over it ever so slowly.

"Jack" I let out quietly, my eyebrows creasing in worry, he looked so weak and defeated...

He winced as I moved onto another cut on his face, listening to our surroundings, there wasn't any noise in the house other than Bullet which was odd, his mother must've been at work and his sisters must've been at their friends house, I heard him talking about how he'd be home alone when we were on FaceTime yesterday.

"Sorry" I apologized gently, pulling the cloth away from his cut on his cheekbone, Jack only gently shaking his head before grabbing my hand and carefully dragging it back to his face, guiding it over the cut as his eyes stayed glued to mine.