~Forty-one~

Faelyn's Pov

Immediately, my head snapped up, and my fingers tightened against his hand. "Jack" I murmured, my eyes searching his face.

His eyes were half open, tired, and the faint cuts on his face from the fight had been cleaned up and sealed with small white butterfly stitches.

He looked..exhausted.

He looked..

Broken.

"I'm so sorry" I immediately blurted, his figure getting harder to see because of the blurriness in my eyes. From my tears.

I couldn't help myself, I was emotional.

I almost lost him.

Almost.

"S-Sorry?" He immediately echoed, confused, "for what?" He murmured, letting go of my hand to catch my attention by placing a delicate hand on my cheek.

I could see the way he squinted ever so slightly, as his arm moved to reach for me..

Even the simple gesture hurt.

"Hey, hey it's okay" I quickly said, trying to push his arm away so he wouldn't strain any cuts or bruises. But he reached out again, so I leaned forwards so he wouldn't have to struggle so much.

And he wiped my tears with a shaky finger, the pad of his thumb running across my cheekbones, swiping away the salty tears on my cheeks.

"You don't need to cry, why are you sorry?" He asked, his voice a delicate whisper as we maintained eye contact.

My bottom lip trembled slightly.

"You almost died, Jack. Because of me" I let out, a disappointed tone in my own voice while I spoke. My head dropping to look down, avoiding his eyes.

"This wasn't your fault-" he began, but I was quick to cut him off. "Can't you see—it was! It was—I should've stayed in the car, or-or, I should've-" "Faelyn" he interrupted, his voice stern and reassuring.

"none of this was your fault. Can't you see? That you're the one who saved me?" He sighed, his eyes sorrowful.

"I dragged you into this mess, and I'm so sorry. I really am." He apologize.

I knew why he was apologizing now.

Now that the gang knew about me, they'd use me as a weakness to him. I figured it out. But, who's to say we couldn't run? We couldn't hide?

"Jack, I'd rather be in this with you, than leave you to fight it alone." I promised, grabbing his shaky hand, and pressing it to my lips where I pressed a delicate kiss to his knuckles.

"I don't care if this puts me in danger. I'm by your side now. We can handle it if we have each other. Besides, we totally kicked ass back there." I smiled, to lighten the mood.

"We did, didn't we?" He hummed.

"I hope you know to never tell me to stay in the car again" I bantered cheekily, the boy playfully rolling his eyes. "You're right, you're coming with me next time" he promised.

"Good, that's the way it should always be" I nod.

"That's the way it will always be" he promised.

A smile graced my lips, and I raised my hand to gently cup his cheek, my thumb running over his cheekbone as our eyes connected.

"Thank you Jack" I couldn't help but murmur.