Chapter 37

A/N - have u ever had that thought in the back of your head that you're an idiot and you're in over ur head? I HAVE BITCH

—————————————————————
Chapter 37
John's POV

   "The name's Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson." The tall man seem to think he was above everyone.
    "Yeah, ok James Bond. Could you move, I wanna get to my room." I advanced toward the door and Thomas put his hand out to stop me. Alex stepped between us, he put arms out protectively.
   "Just leave, prick." Alex sounded angry, Jefferson leaned down so his face was level with Alex's.
    "Why don't you make me." He smirked, I used my hand to grab a chunk of Alex's t-shirt from behind. Alex moved and in one swift motion socked Jefferson right in the mouth.
   "ALEX?!" Alex turned and grabbed the key from my hand. Alex shoved the key in the lock and Jefferson jumped up, grabbing the collar of Alex's shirt. He pushed Alex against the wall, lifting him up so his feet couldn't touch the floor.
   "ALEX! HEY PUT HIM DOWN!" I started to pull and push Jefferson, with one arm he threw me to the floor. Alex began to wrestle with Jefferson's arm.
   "You will do well to know your place, orphan." Alex froze.
   "H-how do you know about that." Alex hung, trying so hard to be strong. I watched in terror as Jefferson leaned in and whispered something in Alex's ear, he smiled a very cruel smile. Alex dropped to the floor, covering his face.
   "I'm your new neighbor, 1789!" Jefferson smiled cheerfully and sauntered off. I turned the key and pushed the door open. I hauled Alex off the floor and I went into the room. The second the door closed Alex moved his hand and started to sob. I rushed forward and wrapped him in a hug. We sunk to the ground, and Alex grabbed fistfuls of my shirt. He slipped his hand inside my shirt and felt around. After a moment of wondering what the fuck he was doing I realized he was looking for my scar. I pushed him off and lifted my shirt over my head. Alex sniffed and traced the scar.
   "What did he whisper to you." I asked, resting a hand on his knee.
    "H-he said I deserved to get everyone I love taken away." He sniffed again and pushed himself away. "Including you." I tried to crawl toward him but he pushed himself back again.
   "Alex, what are yo-" I began.
   "He's right, I deserve all of the shit that's happened to me. I don't deserve you, please go." I crawled toward him. "GO, PLEASE. BEFORE YOU GET HURT." He shouted, standing up. He dashed out the door and down the hall.
   "Alex!" I ran after him, chasing him all the way to his dorm. "Alex please. I'm not going to get hurt." Alex tried to close the door on me but I pushed my way in. Alex locked himself in the bathroom.
   "Alex please?" I begged, I leaned forward and rested my head against the door.
   "No! You'll just end up like all the rest. Gone, killed by disease, hung, killed in flood waters, shot." Alex sobbed from the other side of the door.
   "Alex." I took a deep breath, sliding down the door til I was on the floor with my head against the door. "There's something I need to tell you."
   "W-what?" Alex's voice was closer now.
   "I'm not as tough as I seem. I might get in fights and win most of the time but at the end of the day...I'm just.......nothing." I heard a sniff come from the other side of the door and put my hand against the door. "Alex, when I came out to my dad he kicked me out and said 'no son of mine will ever be with another man. You are not my son' for the next month I hopped around from job to job. Living out of my car and trying so hard to get money for college so I could show my dad that I'm not a disappointment." The door swung open and Alex tackled me.
   "You are NOT nothing. You are the brightest, most beautiful man I have ever met. Fuck what your dad says. I love you." He cupped my face with his hands.
   "Then why do you keep pushing me away?" Alex caressed my cheek with his thumb.
   "Because everything I love gets destroyed and I don't know what I'd do without you."
   "Ok so you distance me?" Alex huffed.
   "You don't get it do you?" His tone grew slightly frustrated. "I love you so much and I'm trying to protect you. I'm a bad seed, I don't belong anywhere. I'm a mistake." His voice faltered and he traced my scar. I pulled his shirt off and rest a hand on his heart. I reached up and pulled his head down to my chest.
   "I will never leave you. You've said you love me several times and yet my heart still beats. You are not a bad seed and you are CERTAINLY NOT a mistake. You belong right here" I traced every scar that littered Alex's skin. Alex sniffed and traced circles on my chest.
   "Really?" He muttered after a moment, I pushed him back.
   "Without a doubt." I smiled. "So what are we gonna do about Jeffershit?" Alex burst out laughing and I smiled. I brushed his hair out of his face. He shrugged and tapped the floor.
   "We could kill him?" Alex joked. I snorted and we bursted out laughing once more.
   "That's a great idea but I think people would look for him so that's not an option." I giggled. Alex sat up and crawled on top of me. He wrapped his arms around my neck and leaned in for a kiss.
   "Wait, no. John, I'm sorry, I can't." He pushed back and removed his arms.
   "Can't what?"
   "Can't risk it. I-I'm sorry." He crawled away and plopped down next to his bed. I crawled over a plopped down next to him.
   "What are we?" I asked tracing circles on the floor. Alex looked over at me eyes wide. "Cause I thought we were boyfriends, but I guess not." I mumbled, tears threatened to fall.
   "Wait, I-I....John, no I-I um..." Alex stuttered the more tears rolled down my face. "I'm s-sorry, I don't wanna b-breakup and I l-love you. I just wanna protect you, I can't let you end up like them." He sobbed.
   "Whose them?" I wiped away some of Alex's tears.
   "My father, my mother, my brother, my cousin, or my nightmares." He sobbed.