18

"It's all fun and games until one of you get hurt" Mitch and I's moms would always used to say to us every time we were playing hockey 'play fighting' in the front driveway.

"You're going to be okay Teagan." Mitch says right beside me, where he's been the whole time, holding my hand through it all.

It's day 7 of this wonderful trip that has been nothing but unforgettable moments, amazing memories, and bucket list check offers until earlier today things took a turn.
The whole crew went to one of the Hawaiian caves where you can go tubing, jump of the waterfall cliff, or just free swim and hang out in the water taking in the view of this jungle it feels like you're in.

I've been sky diving, I've bungee jumped before so this was nothing to me. I loved heights and trying new fun things.
Earlier today, around 2 pm, we went to the waterfall. Will thought it would be so fun to try it out and I went with him. I was kind of scared to go first so he did, I was right behind him.
50 feet up in the air on top of the waterfall on a cliff about to jump in the water, the only thing I was worried about was doing a belly flop or one of my earring rip out of my hole because of the pressure.

The light literally flashed before my eyes. The last thing I remembered was screaming as I jumped and then I ended up being in Austons arms as he was running.

Now, hours later I'm sitting in my hospital bed with Mitch to my side.
"She's awake" I hear Mitch's voice yell out the door of my room.
I look at him confused for a moment until I ask what's going on.
"Hey when we first brought you in, they put you under anesthetic so you wouldn't feel anything and did a bunch of tests. It's now 4:30 and they still haven't told me anything about your tests or what's wrong."
As I just sit there feeling like I'm going to fall asleep, I see someone out of the corner of my eye. It was Auston.
"Can I come in now?" He asks.
"Yes duh come here." I pat down on the bed for him to sit on there with me.
"Well I wasn't sure if I was, you kicked everyone out but Mitch stayed without you knowing." He laughs. "Everyone else is in the waiting room."
"Hey" I start to say. "Thank you"
He gave me a confused face. "For..?" He questions.
"For saving me. For being stronger than Mitch. I remember you swam over and carried me out. I would've drowned if you didn't come"

We have a good laugh and talked about what happened until the nurses came in to relay some information.
"Did you pop it into place and can I go finish the rest of this beautiful trip now eh?" I say knowing that's not how it's probably going to go and sure I was right.

The nurse looks down at the clipboard and lets out a sigh, "I don't have good news. I wish I could say something different but you will need to get surgery my dear. The doctor is in with another patient right now but in about 10 minutes we'll be back to get you. Do you have any questions for me love?"
"Surgery?!"
"Yes. Your leg is broken and yes, we had to pop it back in place but it's still terribly bad Teagan. It's going to be a long process to get it back to normal but you need this surgery. As we wait, I need to get you set up on an IV to give you blood. I will be back to prep you there is nothing to be worried about girlie. You'll be out in no time with your boyfriend and friends here waiting for you"
As I was trying to tell her I don't have a boyfriend, she was already out of the room.
"I'm going to call your dad again. I'll be right back I promise." Auston says standing up, getting his phone out of his pocket.
"What do you mean again? You called him?" I started to freak out. "No. I don't want you to."
"Teagan, he has to know what's going on. He told me he's coming as soon as the next flight is available." He informs me.
"I'll talk to him. I don't want him to come. It doesn't even hurt, I'll be fine you guys. Damn you never listen to what I want!"
"It's not that we don't listen T, it's what's best for you. He's your dad and needs to know."

The doctor comes in the room along with 3 nurses to bring me to the operating room. The doctor talks to Mitch, Auston, and I just relaying what the nurse had just came in and said but also what kind of operation he'll be doing and how long it'll take.
"Doc- I don't care how long the surgery will take. All I want to know is will this be fine in a few months?" I ask concerned about school and hockey coming up.
Before the doctor speaks, Mitch speaks up. "T, you have the same injury, if not worse ,than what Cam Neely had. I hate that I have to bring that up. But you know what happened to him and his career" Mitch says talking about a former Boston Bruin who played in my dads era, who's career was ended by what the world thought was a 'small' injury to the leg. But it was much worse, ending his NHL career.

I just ignore him, kind of mad at him that he even mentioned that. Mitch isn't a doctor and doesn't know when I'll be good again.