Telling Dad about Christmas - Part 36

Joes PoV
So its been a good few weeks and now in a few weeks time I will be on my way to meet Dianne's family. I'm actually really nervous about it I mean we're only 19/20 and yet we're still so in love but what if her parents hate me and she always sticks by what they say. It could be the end of us. Well I hope not but I guess I will have to think about that when the time comes, if the time comes. First of all I need to head hone to Wiltshire to tell my dad that I'm not hone for Christmas. He will be distraught, we always spend Christmas together. Even after Mum and Dad split up, we always went to Dads, me and Zoe that is. I don't know whether he will be angry or upset, or both but this is what I want. I want to spend my life with Dianne and meeting her parents is rare considering they live half way across the world. Surely he will understand.

I was in an uber for hours. I didn't have my car with me yet so I had nothing to do but sit there. I wanted to edit some videos and take my mind off the things that could possibly happen soon but I couldn't get my mind off of it, I can already imagine the look on my Dads face. At first he will be surprised that I'm home but then he will go into worried mode. The next part I don't know. He will either respect my decisions and be really happy, or happy for me but really distraught and disappointed. I feel like a terrible son.

After a long 3 hour drive we finally pulled up outside my house. I thanked the driver and got out, me and Dianne decided that it would be best if it was just me who told my dad. Suddenly the door swung open.
"Joe? What are you doing here?"
"Hey Dad!"
"Is she pregnant?"
"What! No Dad!"
"Sorry I had to ask. You never come without calling first. Whats happened?"
"Nothing has happened Dad. Look can we go inside. Please?"
"Yeah come on. I was just about to finish the tree off. It was going to be a surprise for you for Christmas, but you're here now"
"Right"
"Joe Whats up?"
"The sky". I tried to Joke. Dad just looked at me and waited for the answer. "Dad, um its good that I've seen the tree"
"Why? Is it bad? Oh god. I failed didn't I? I'm sorry Joseph"
"No no no dad the tree is fine it's just I'm, um not going to see it on Christmas day"
"Huh?"
"Dad. Don't be mad but I'm going to Australia for Christmas". I looked at him. Tears forming in his eyes as I spoke. I felt terrible.
"With her family?" He said spitefully with tears threatening to fall.
"Don't say it like that dad. But yes"
"Fine!"
"Dad?"
"I said Fine Joseph!"
"You will still have Zoe and Alfie"
"Will I? Because I'm pretty sure they're going to his house for Christmas. It was meant to be us two Joe. Why didn't you tell me?"
"I was scared. I didn't want to hurt you Dad. But I love Dianne and I want to meet her family. I would say come but it's the first time I will meet them and I don't think I should come with my dad. Im so sorry"
"Are you ashamed of me?"
"What? No!"
"Well it seems like it"
"I'm not"
"Just go Joe"
"What?"
"I said get out of here!" He raised his voice a little.
"Dad?"
"Joe I said Go Away! I don't want to see you right now!" He shouted. I jumped back and ran. I ran to the only place I knew. The field around the corner, where we would both go and pick berries together. I had no idea he would react like that. I feel so terribly bad