College Run-Away

Parker Sylas, in her four years in Keystone City, hadn't gone through quite the experience she expected to. It was an amazing chance, being able to live in the pizza capital of Parker's world.

The first thing she did when she finished college was moved back to her hometown of Central City. For her entire life, it had served as an uneventful city. That statement remained true for a long time; Parker's life and Central City had been normal.

Until Barry Allen.

Present Day

"Mom, I'm fine," stressed Parker.

"Are you sure?" asked her worried mother. "I can send one of the boys to help out--"

"Jesus Christ, mother. I said I was fine," said Parker.

"Don't be snippy with me," snapped Mrs. Sylas. "But, I'll let you go if that's what you really want... Have fun at work. Make friends, would you?"

Parker chuckled a farewell to her mother, then tossed her phone into her backpack, the final bag in the haul to the lobby. She zipped it and hiked the straps over her shoulders. She stepped through the revolving doors, into the lobby of her new home.

Instantly, her shoulders slouched profoundly. A line with around ten people waiting for the single elevator lift was present. Transferring the boxes from the cab into the lobby was tough on its own. Having to wait for an opportunity to take all her belongings to the twenty-fourth floor would be a nightmare.

Stopping her from collapsing in an armchair, an elderly woman placed a twitching hand on Parker's arm. "Need some help?" asked the woman.

"Oh, no, it's all right. I can't ask that of you," she denied politely.

The woman winked, handing Parker her purse. She shuffled to the nearest cardboard box, hands placed on each side. "Oh, this is such a heavy box!" she cried, in fake pain.

Every able eye in the crowded lobby immediately turned to her. Young men rushed to her, each taking as many boxes as they could carry.

Crowding into the elevator, one man called, "What floor?"

Mildly shocked, Parker stuttered, "Twenty-four. Apartment 3B."

The elderly woman took the hem Parker's shirt, pulling her into the elevator.

"Being an old lady sure has its perks," she whispered in her ear.

××××

A heavy sweat broke out on Parker's body. Straight unpacking occurred for hours on end. She was exhausted, hot, and thirsty beyond compare. She trudged into the bathroom and splashed cold water on to her steaming face.

Treating herself to a break, Parker left her apartment building, finding a new route to the old coffee shop she used to visit as a teenager. Staring at the displayed menu, she hadn't spared a glance at the cashier, who was still entering the previous order on the computer screen.

"Parker?" breathed the barista.

"Iris," sang Parker flatly, "Damn. I thought I got rid of you after school."

Iris scurried around the counter, arms stretched wide open. Parker didn't hug her back with the same excitement, though it was there, hidden underneath layers of fatigue.

"Hey, hey, you've got customers," said Parker, waving her hands to shoo Iris away. "I'll hang out here until you're finished with your shift. We'll catch up."