Beside You

Barry and Bette came to the Cortex. In front of the computer desk, he set her on her feet once more. Instantly, Bette's hands clasped upon her chest, terrified of accidentally touching anything. 

Barry pried the mask from his face with a tired exhale. "I told her we could explain how this happened," he said. 

"As the detonation rolled throughout Central City, a number of people were affected by the blast. One of those people was you," explained Dr. Wells simply. 

"You were in Central City ten months ago?" asked Parker, seeking confirmation. 

Her reply was delayed, as Caitlin finished rummaging through the file cabinet, and handed Bette a pair of black gloves. She smiled reassuringly. Bette pulled them over her hands. 

"I had just returned from Afghanistan. I was there defusing road side bombs and shrapnel ripped through me. I was flown back Stateside. Spent months at the base recuperating, and the next thing I know, I became the thing that almost killed me, and Eiling's favorite new lab rat," recalled Bette. 

"The dark matter must have combined with the bomb particulate inside your body," guessed Caitlin. 

"I thought Eiling did this to me?" asked Bette. 

"Eiling is not smart enough to create someone like you," denied Dr. Wells, "but he is clever enough to see your value."

Bette looked to Barry. "Do you know any others who have changed?

"There have been a few," said Caitlin. 

"But no one that looks like you," said Cisco dreamily. 

Parker reprimanded the boy by punching his thigh. 

"Sorry, that was inappropriate. Please don't leave," he chuckled awkwardly. 

Caitlin spun her chair, narrowing her eyes at Cisco. She warned, "I know how to perform a lobotomy."

Cisco gulped. He stayed silent, that being the only thing he could do that would prevent him from receiving a lobotomy.

They moved Bette into the treadmill room, where they could observe and examine from a safe distance, where no one had to worry about being in close contact with her. 

Parker went into the room willingly. 

"So," she said as she closed the door behind her, "I have to say thank you for your service, really. It's admirable that you were brave enough to join the Army."

"I wish I hadn't."

Parker frowned. "Oh. Well, okay, that's reasonable."

Caitlin entered the room, medical kit placed carefully in her hands. She set it down next to Bette, then began the check-up. 

"So this is your life now, huh? Testing people like me?" wondered Bette softly. 

"Stopping people like you," corrected Caitlin. "Not what I thought I'd be doing."

"You know, aside from Barry, you're the first meta-human we tested," said Parker, offering a smile. 

Bette looked at Caitlin. "Meta-human?"

"Just a term," answered Caitlin. Her eyes flickered to Parker, generally amused that Bette had chosen her to speak to. 

Parker averted her eyes from Bette's, searching for a part of the woman's outfit that could generate a compliment. A cut in Bette's jacket caught Parker's eye. She reached forward and moved the jacket. 

"There's something in there," mumbled Parker.

Caitlin drew the tweezers from her kit, then removed a black chip from within the cut in Bette's arms.