99 Problems- Drinking Ain't One

For eleven months, Team Flash had been together. Every day was spent with one another, which meant they knew one another's mannerisms and habits. One they had become accustom to was how each person entered into a room. They got to a point where looking to see who entered the Cortex didn't have to happen anymore. 

New people within the Cortex always looked to whoever entered. When Parker came in, and there was no one to look, she stopped abruptly. 

"She left," said Cisco in explanation. 

Parker raised her eyebrows. "She say why?"

"No."

Parker settled her mug on the desk. With her hip, she pushed Cisco's chair out of the way. She clicked away on the keyboard. 

"What are you doing?" asked Barry. 

"Ah, ah, patience, my young padawan," said Parker. 

Cisco read the screen when Parker moved. "The waterfront?"

"I have a strong feeling she's turning herself in," said Parker. 

"No," decided Barry, "he's not."

The suit was gone seconds later. 

"You know what to do, my friends," said Dr. Wells. 

Waiting on Barry to update on the situation, the team was silent. Twenty minutes of awkward silence occurred. 

Parker reached for the speaker. "Barry?"

"Is she okay?" Cisco cut in.

Parker laid her hand palm up and Cisco grabbed it, holding onto her for strength. She knew just by Barry's hesitation that something wasn't right.

"No... Cisco, he killed her... Guys, she's glowing, she's going to detonate."

Cisco's hand stiffed. 

"You have to get her out of here, a blast that size will be catastrophic," Caitlin told Barry.

"You have to outrun the blast, or you'll die," cautioned Dr. Wells. 

"Barry, please..." mumbled Parker. 

"I know."

Parker didn't know how long passed before they heard the thud occurred outside the door of the Cortex. She sprinted out, then threw herself into the body, not bothering to check who it was.

"You're okay," she whispered. 

"I'm okay," confirmed Barry. 

"It was an underwater weapons test," they heard from the television. It was Wade Eiling, composing a lie about the sudden explosion. "No need to worry, folks."

In utter disbelief, Barry shook his head. "He murdered Bette in front of me."

"Powerful men have a way of avoiding consequences," said Dr. Wells. 

Parker narrowed her eyes at the back of his head. She couldn't help but wonder if he was referring to someone other than Eiling.

"You okay?" whispered Barry. 

"You can walk on water," she pointed out, that being the first excuse that came to mind. "Gives you pretty interesting stuff to put on your résumé."

He wrapped an arm around her shoulders. "Yeah, well, I wouldn't want to work anywhere else."

"Really? Wow. I might just go switch jobs now. Big Belly Burger? I'd fit in."

"Parker. Let me be romantic for five seconds."

"Never."

××××

Parker was tired of the Cortex being awkward. Barry had left, for reasons untold, which left Dr. Wells, Caitlin, and Dr. Wells. Various levels of sadness were present in each person. All Parker wanted to do was drink her grief away. 

"Not gonna lie," whispered Parker, kneeling beside Caitlin's desk. "It's about as dead as a graveyard here."

"I don't think that's a very good simile."

Parker huffed. "Caitlin, do you want to drink, or not?"

The geneticist surveyed the room. Cisco sat in the corner, his sleeve darkened by the numerous amount of times he'd wiped his leaking eyes. He wasn't the only one who needed a drink.

"Let's go."

××××

Parker tossed open the door to the bar. 

Caitlin and Cisco shuffled their way in behind her. 

Barry Allen had the same idea. Alone at the bar, he sat, staring sadly into his drink. 

"Club Soda?" teased Parker.

"I think we should toast," proposed Caitlin.

"Doesn't work on me, remember?" sighed Barry. "It's practically impossible for me to get drunk."

"Nothing is impossible," disagreed Caitlin. From her purse, she pulled a small tube that was filled to the brim with liquid.

Parker held her drink in her air. "Here's to Bette."

"Bette," they chorused, then threw back their shots.

Caitlin examined Barry after he drowned his shot. "Are you buzzed?" she inquired, all of her teeth visible through her smile.

Barry squeezed his eyes. He gave a little head shake. "Yeah, for sure. Whoa, that stuff is good!" he praised. A second later, his smile dropped. "It's gone."

"Work in progress," said Caitlin. 

Parker rested her arm along his shoulders. His arm slung around her waist.

"Don't worry," she promised. "We'll get you drunk eventually."