Start of Something New

Parker sat on Barry's lap in her chair (a battle had went on over it, but he just pulled her on his lap and wouldn't let go) and played on the computer, talking to a program called Cleverbot.

Everyone had a small cup of Grandma Esther's eggnog. (Which did not go light on the bourbon, as always.)

Parker had felt Barry playing with his watch. His hands were interlocked around her stomach, his sleek fingers tapping the watch and playing with it. Finally, he spoke up and rid her of her worries about him disliking it.

"Park, I really like this.."

"Good, sweetheart. I'm glad."

"Sweetheart?" Barry chuckled.

"I'm testing out nicknames for you," Parker huffed. "Whatever, I'm not even going to try anymore."

Barry opened his mouth to respond, but his cell phone rang, interrupting the talk. "We're continuing this talk later!" he decided.

A quick look at his phone caused him to groan. "We're needed at Mercury Labs."

>>>>

Someone had broke into Mercury and killed two security guards. Luckily, there was one witness who managed to stay alive through the attack. Parker went to him, hoping he could remember what he saw.

"Hi, I'm Parker. I was hoping you could describe to me what you saw tonight?" she wondered.

"I apologize in advance, Miss. The man was blurring his face at a high speed.."

Parker's pencil squeaked as it came to a stop. "Did you say high speed? Like how high speed?"

"Yes, he was across the room and to my within a blink of an eye," the Doctor said. He waved his hand. "I sound crazy, I know.."

Parker's eyes flickered behind the witness, watching Barry having a word with Joe. He had been with her last night. And he wouldn't have killed two people regardless. So, what new speedster moved into Central City?

"I don't think you're crazy, Doc.. Continue with the description for me."

He couldn't explain much except for the fact that the man could move quick, he had a yellow suit on and glowing red eyes.

"You saw a blur? What was it?"

Parker felt Barry's eager presence beside her. She looked at him as he peered at her drawing. It was a light sketch of a body with an arrow coming out of the stomach saying, 'color me yellow!' Not very interesting.

"Whatever it was, it was looking for something," the Doctor said.

"Well, what did it look like?" Barry pressed.

The Doctor sighed, scratching his forehead. "Like a-a man. In a yellow suit."

Apparently for Barry, that was all he needed to hear. He squeezed Parker's elbow and said a quick, "Thanks," to the Doctor before he and Joe sped-walked away.

"He's new to the job," Parker lied, explaining Barry's eager attitude. "Rookie."

A moment of awkward silence passed between the Doctor and Parker.

"Okay, well, thanks!" she said.

She walked out of the uncomfortable conversation, to the street. Hailing a cab, she directed the driver to S.T.A.R. Labs. She hadn't needed to talk to Barry to know that's where he had gone.

>>>>>>

Parker curled up in her chair. She sat behind the row of computers with Caitlin, craning her neck around a computer to see the conversation in front of her.