Chapter 10

Your phone rang and ruined the moment. You quickly got up and grabbed it.

"Hello?"

Hizashi watched you take the call. Your face seemed to drop as he looked over worriedly. A few moments later you hung up, a frown on your face once again.

"You look... trebled," Hizashi said, trying for a pun to get you to smile. When that didn't work, he asked, "Something else happened?"

"Yeah, apparently the publishing company for my songs that I applied for rejected me." You sat back down next to Hizashi and glanced at him. Maybe he can...? No, probably not. "Maybe I'll ask Jirou...."

"I can join you," Hizashi suggested. "I've wanted to try out the event for myself but had no one to go with."

"You mean it?" you exclaimed. "You don't have to, and since you said people would be biased...."

"I could wear a disguise or something, or play in the back while you sing." Hizashi's green eyes sparkled as you watched him. For once, something good was happening today.

"The way you phrased it though...." You giggled. "Sounded like a date."

"I suppose you could call it a date." Hizashi flashed a smile at you, causing you to blush.

"That was a joke."

"Mhm," he said teasingly. "What song do you have in mind?"

"I haven't decided yet. The battle doesn't start until about two months or so, so I'll have time to think of one and for you to practice." You looked around the room and the many instruments. "You can pick one from my list. Or you can choose one of your songs and I'll play it."

"Or we could do a duet again!"

"Or play a classic, people might love it. How many classical composers do you know?"

Hizashi paused. "Let's see, Mozart, Beethoven, Bach. What about rock?"

"Ooh, maybe we can do a mashup of both our songs!"

"Yeah, think outside the Bach," Hizashi joked. "Let's do a mashup."

"Great!" You laughed, being yourself again.

After a few hours of difficult decision-making on songs and exchanging nice comments about each other's work, you two finally picked two songs to mash together.

"You visit Rina and use your quirk on her every morning, right?" Hizashi asked. "I'll do most of the singing and you'll do most of the instrumentals, how's that sound?"

"I don't have the best voice, but I'll do my best."

"You have an amazing voice, just don't go breaking it." Hizashi stood up and almost fell over when he checked the time. "Oh shit, I'm almost late for my shift. I'll come over when I can to work on the song, alright?"

"I'll see you then," you agreed, nodding and walking him to the door. "Thanks for cheering me up."

"No problem, I had fun playing the piano with you." Hizashi took his hat from the rack and adjusted it on his head. He leaned forward and kissed your cheek. "Cya."

You stood there dumbfounded as he left, throwing a finger gun at you. "Holy fuck what did he just do."

~♬~

"Lucky!" Lina grieved dramatically, crossing her arms and pouting. Her glasses rested on the top of her nose and her eyebrows matched the mountain ones Hizashi almost always had. "You got to work with him on a song and you're performing it at the Battle of the Bands as a date?"