Chapter 38

You definitely felt the pain in a wave when you woke up again. You groaned, attempting to stretch without moving your injured arm.

You looked around the room and saw Hizashi sitting on a chair next to you, asleep. You smiled to yourself slightly, looking up at the ceiling.

You took a deep breath, let it out, and sat up quickly using as little muscle in your left arm. You winced, holding back a yelp as to not wake Hizashi.

However, your shifting and movement caused him to groggily open his eyes and blink at you confusedly.

"Hey," you greeted.

"Hey, Dove." Hizashi gave you a large, energetic smile and kissed you. "How are you feeling?"

You pointed at your cast. "What do you think?"

He chuckled slightly. "We'll catch those villains. I promise."

You paused. "How?" You felt guilty for not being mentally able to tell the heroes about the villains' deal.

"Trust me, I've got a plan," Hizashi assured. He chuckled. "Actually, it was Shota's, but I have to do a lot of things in that plan so I'm just going to take that plan and say it's mine."

You laughed. "What's the plan?"

"Can't tell you," Hizashi said quickly. "Maybe Shota will."

"I want to help," you protested. "I want to help catch her!"

"You're injured."

"I don't care!" You were too determined to get revenge to care about your own health. "I want to catch her and make her pay!"

"Pay for what?"

You paused. He can't know that Hami is the one causing Rina to still be sick. The embarrassing other reason?

"I didn't want them to hurt you," you murmured. "She's working with the villains and they hurt you."

Hizashi fell silent, but leaned in to hug you tightly. "We'll be fine, my little songbird. I don't want you getting hurt."

Your eyes teared up. You felt so useless and hopeless. You weren't a hero. You couldn't do anything.

The two of you cuddled for a long while, you letting tears fall and sniffling. Hizashi started humming. It wasn't the usual loud and fast beat he does, but rather the low and enchanting tune. It was similar to the one you did, but it was like another version, a reply.

You were fascinated, closing your eyes to listen. You felt yourself floating away in the tune, letting the music carry you. You felt Hizashi wipe your tears away with a finger, then cup your face in his hands when he finished the tune. He kissed you, making you all the more in love with him.

You heard a knock on the door and both of you looked towards the doorway.

Shota was there, peeking his head in slightly, a concerned yet understanding look on his face. Trinket was back in his hair, nibbling the strands with her paper beak. The appearance made you and Hizashi laugh a bit.

"You okay?" Shota asked, coming into the room more. His tired eyes were glancing around, cautious and alert.

"Could be better," you replied, wiping your face with your sleeve. "What's the plan?"

Shota glared at Hizashi. When Hizashi shrugged innocently, Shota sighed. "Hizashi, I got a call saying that you have a different mission. Last minute change."

"What? We called to tell them about the sound villains and they said it was fine!"

"Last minute change," Shota repeated. He looked over to you hesitantly. "We need a different undercover person, and since you're so determined to catch the villains...."

Your eyes sparked with confidence and you nodded quickly.

"We'll let you in on the plan." Shota gave in. "Hizashi, you should call back and see what the assigned mission is about and I'll explain to [Y/N] about this."

Hizashi nodded, then gave you another kiss and left reluctantly. "Get well soon before you go, Birdie."

You shot him a thumbs up, then turned  to Shota.

"Birdie?" Shota questioned, a rare amused expression on his face.

"That one's new to me, too."

"We'll have to wait until you're recovered," Shota started, pushing aside the nickname. "I'm sure the villains won't be there early, anyway."

"Be where? Let me in on this."

"You know how the villain Lina gets power from noise?" He looked at you expectantly. "Where's the loudest place you can think of?"

"Hizashi's house," you said immediately, jokingly.

"YEAH!" Trinket screeched from Shota's hair, causing him to flinch from the high-pitched noise.

"Loudest public place," Shota corrected himself. "But I agree with that." He carefully took Trinket in his hands and attempted to get her out of his messy hair gently.

"Lots of places are loud. Bars, parties, karaokes, raves, etcetera." You held in your laughs as you watched Shota struggle.

"Yes, there's a karaoke party that takes place close to your Lina's place. A few people have claimed to see other people matching villain Kaito and Lina's description come there often."

"So I'll be going undercover there and then what?"

"Not just you," Shota said. "With Ectoplasm." He gave up trying to get the paper bird out.

"The math teacher at U. A?" You hadn't really talked much with him, but he did listen to your songs.

"Believe it or not, he likes karaoke." Shota had a straight face so you couldn't tell if he was joking or not. Trinket being in his hair didn't help him look more serious.

"Why don't you go undercover too?"

"You think I fit at a party?" His tired eyes bore into you. He had shaved not long ago for the interview for the news, but his chin was already scruffy.

"Yeah, no. Unless it's one of those crazy ones." You paused. "On second thought, I might not go if it is."

"Don't worry, it'll be safe."

You weren't sure whether to trust him on that, but you were determined to catch the villains and whether or not it was a dangerous party wasn't going to stop you.

"We'll have you two watch for them and if you see them, send a signal, and the other heroes will evacuate the innocents to catch them."

"Why do we need to go undercover?"

"So they don't recognize you," Shota stated matter-of-factly. "You'll have to put on a disguise at the karaoke, so that if they do see you outside, they'll see you come in and raise their guard."

"You're saying to do two completely opposite things." You were definitely confused about this plan. "Let them know I'm there, but also don't?"

"If you let them know you're there, they'll raise they're guard and try to approach you, or act out of place. That way we can spot them and catch them. If they don't spot you, that's fine too because it'll cause less panic."

You nodded, a little less confident with whatever this plan was.

Shota sighed. "Just go over as yourself and at the place you change. Wig, contacts, something. We'll wait until you're fully healed, we have time. Got it?"

"... Sure let's go with that."

~♪♫ ♪♫ ♪~
Chapter music question!
Can you whistle or snap?