Chapter 40

Hizashi wasn't prepared to give you the news. Standing in front of your door, he cursed under his breath at his incompetence.

When your best friend fell over, he caught her, thankfully, and the two of you rushed back to the hospital. It wasn't far from your home, but you had called for an ambulance that arrived midway.

Rina was okay, Hizashi had told himself and you. Shota had told him he got the parasite removed— he had used his quirk on Hami and Rina to test it out. Shota wished he'd done it sooner, so that Rina could recover sooner.

She had her voice box removed, but the cancerous tumor was removed along with it. She was optimistic and doing well.

So why did she collapse? Why did it take so long for the doctors to give him the news? Why... why did he eventually get the information that he knew would break you?

The hospital refused to let you stay for Rina, and with an argument with them, Hizashi ended up somehow convincing you to leave.

He promised to tell you what happened as soon as they told him, and here he was, the next day, a hesitant hand hovering over the doorbell.

He didn't have the house keys on him, so he slowly pressed the bell.

The door opened immediately, revealing you with your tired, sleep-deprived eyes and messy hair. Hizashi would have teased you about looking like Shota, but he knew why you looked like that.

You looked at him impatiently. "Was it a heart attack? An after-effect of the surgery? What?" Hizashi sighed.

"Heart attack. She died."

Short and straight to the point. Hizashi mentally slapped himself. That wasn't a good way.

You stared at him numbly for a long time. "Ah, I see." You turned and walked inside, stumbling a bit.

Hizashi followed you in. He knew what you were thinking. Everything—the Battle of the Bands, Shota's plan, the surgery—was all for nothing. And getting the parasite out, which you had no idea about. It was too late.

You threw yourself on the couch, staring blankly into space. Hizashi spotted Trinket on the table next to you, and for a moment he thought that she was dead. Perhaps when Rina died, her creations also died and returned to being inanimate, folded paper. However, Trinket's wings fluttered and she flew, landing on the armrest silently.

You ignored her, pulling your knees up to your chin and hugging them. Hizashi sat down beside you.

"[Y/N]," Hizashi murmured. He rubbed your back.

Trinket started singing. Calming and beautiful. Hizashi knew the song; it was one of your's and Rina's songs.

Trinket singing in Rina's voice set you off. The tears fell and you let out the cry you had been holding back.

Hizashi said nothing as you pressed your face against his chest. He didn't know exactly how to console you. He didn't know Rina as much as you did, and he felt like he would be intruding if he asked too much.

Instead, he waited and let you let out your pain. It was more important for him to listen than talk.

Trinket stopped singing after a while, flying over to you and nuzzling her head against your face. The tears stained her paper skin, but nothing stopped her.

"She's dead," you whimpered. "Rina's dead."

Hizashi nodded. You needed time to process and accept that. He held you closer, patting your back as you shook. He kissed the tears away and let you cry. He didn't care that you were crying and wailing louder and louder, he wanted you to let it all out.

"Dove, it's okay," Hizashi murmured. "Let it out." A few minutes passed before you became quieter. "Do you want to be alone right now or company?"

You were silent for a moment, sniffing a bit. "Alone."

Hizashi started getting up, but you added, "With you." You stuttered over your words, your voice cracking. "I want to distract myself."

Hizashi nodded. He wasn't sure whether or not it was a good idea, but you wanted company with just him, so he'd give you it.

"Music?" Hizashi asked softly, knowing that it calmed you. You nodded, not saying anything.

Hizashi went through his playlist and selected a few songs. The two of you listened while you tried to process everything.

(A/N: You don't have to listen to them, it's just if you're also sad.)

Hizashi noticed your breathing had evened out, and he hugged you even tighter when your eyes closed in tiredness. He remembered that you barely slept last night.

He paused the playlist, then started singing to you to lull you to sleep.

[A/N: This song is sung by Present Mic's voice actor!]

His gentle and calm voice was unusual, but spirited. You fell asleep not long after, thinking about how much harm you were going to do to the villains, especially Hami, for this.

~♪♫ ♪♫ ♪~
Guess the song:
"And I'm just a deadman walking tonight...."

Song suggestion: Promiseland by Mika

A/N: There's a reason for this I swear.