Chapter 22

Hizashi went over to your house after the visit. It was late and you were fidgety, checking over the lyrics and muttering them under your breath while playing the drums. There was only one more day until the event.

Meanwhile, Hizashi was turning the guitar with a carefree attitude. You were jealous of his lack of nervousness.

He had many fans and was used to the attention, while you have never performed in front of a crowd before without Rina.

"What disguise are you going to wear?" you questioned. You stopped playing.

"Wig and contacts, that should do it, right?" Hizashi played a chord to test if it was completely tuned.

"Guess so." You knocked the sticks together. "Why don't you just always wear a disguise so people won't recognize you?"

"Too much work," Hizashi said simply. "And I don't really like contacts."

You nodded. "You think anyone will recognize me?"

"If they don't at that moment, they sure will after," Hizashi said confidently. "You're an amazing musician and singer, [Y/N]."

"Oh, shush up." You nodded, still nervous. It wasn't that you didn't want to be noticed, it was just going to be surprising and new for you.

"What's with your 'shush up'?" Hizashi chuckled.

"It's a thing Rina and I say," you replied. "It's like a nicer way of saying shut up."

Hizashi nodded. "The guitar's tuned, you want to play it once more?" Hizashi positioned the instrument on his lap. "The event's only in a day and a few hours. Loosen up!"

"Sure."

The two of you played it again, completely in sync with each other. It was amazing how Hizashi could play two instruments at the same time. Trinket the cockatoo sang with you two, in sync and bobbing her head to the beat.

When the song finished, you heard your doorbell ring. You excused yourself and ran to open it, wondering who it could be.

You didn't expect to see a familiar tired-looking man.

"Shota, what are you doing here?" You opened the door for him.

"Where's Mic?" Shota asked, walking in, not too rudely. When Hizashi popped his head out from another room, Shota walked over to him. "Figured you'd be here."

"What's wrong? Aren't you supposed to be at the camp?" Hizashi got up worriedly.

"We were attacked," Shota said. "One of the students got kidnapped."

"B-But...." Hizashi sputtered. "Only the staff and students know the location of that place!"

"I have to make a statement tomorrow to the police and have a news interview," Shota explained. "And you have a meeting with the other teachers tomorrow. Did you not get a text or phone call?"

"Wha—? Hold on," you said, confused. "A student was kidnapped at the camp?"

"That's what I said, yes," Shota answered, annoyed. "Those fucking villains...."

"Why'd you come here to tell me?" Hizashi asked.

"Because you didn't answer your phone and your fucking patrol shift in 10 minutes," Shota muttered. "And you take forever with your hero costume.

"Oh shit." Hizashi glanced at the clock and grabbed his phone. He ran over to the door. "Sorry, [Y/N], I gotta go."

"Wait, you'll be able to make it to the event, right?" You got his hat for him.

"Totally," Hizashi promised. "The meeting is tomorrow but there might be extra work afterwards. It won't take more than a day though. If I don't, you can hit me, scream at me, break up with me, whatever."

"That makes it sound like you won't be there," you commented. "Please be there."

"Of course. I promise." Hizashi gave you a quick kiss and left. "Take care of Trinket for me!"

"This is what happened while I was gone?" Shota asked, raising an eyebrow in interest. Trinket flew into your hair and squawked out a "YEAHHHHHH!" for you as you nodded.

"Why are you still here?" you asked the annoyed Shota, petting the paper bird gently.

"I wanted to ask you," Shota started, glaring at the bird. "Did Hizashi tell you anything about the USJ or the training camp?"

"He's told me plenty of things. That includes his experiences and days of being a teacher and hero, so yes." You faintly remember the USJ incident he told you about.

"When did you meet him?"

"Somewhere around May, so about 3 months ago." You raised an eyebrow. "Why are you interrogating me?"

"Did he ever tell you where the camp was located?" Shota ignored your question.

"Are you accusing me of working with the villains?" You faked that you were offended. "He did, but it wasn't an exact location. Just 'somewhere where the Pussycats are' or something."

"That's literally an exact location," Shota pointed out. "And no, I'm not accusing you of working with a villain. Have you told anyone else about this?"

"I've told Rina." You had told Shota more about Rina last time you visited the school; her condition and how she was like a sister to you. "But you know her condition."

Shota nodded, his face not giving anything away, making you uncomfortable. He finally sighed.

"The villains could have gotten the class's schedule during the media break-in those months ago, which is how they knew about the USJ day," Shota told you. "I don't know how they found out the location of the camp, though. Like Hizashi said, only the teachers and students know, besides you and Rina."

"Do you think I would tell?" you asked him.

"No, I would hope not."

A pause. You and Shota have been pretty good buddies, hanging out with you, Hizashi, and Nemuri after school, though it was usually forced and it was difficult to convince him. You two have talked about books—mainly your's—and other things.

You glanced at the clock and noticed it was almost 10. Trinket started pulling at your hair. "You want to come to the Battle of the Bands event the day after tomorrow?"

"No thanks, I've got the kidnapping situation in my hands and I have to go to an interview in front of a camera," Shota grumbled. He let out a frustrated sigh. "You know how much I hate that."

"Good luck." You examined his unpresentable appearance. "You should wear a suit, fix your hair, and shave," you murmured, crossing your arms. Shota glared at you.

"No."

"Yes."

~♪♫ ♪♫ ♪~
Chapter music question!
Do you know Jon Bellion? If so, favorite song from him?