Chapter 23

The next morning Hizashi came over super early, when you haven't even gotten out of bed yet.

Your groggy self was not ready for the doorbell. You had heard it and just lied on your bed for a full minute before it rang again and you processed the sound.

Trinket was on your desk. Being an origami, non-living thing that didn't need sleep sounded great, you thought.

"Hizzy...." you murmured as you opened the door to see the yellow-headed man through your half-lidded eyes. "What's up?"

Hizashi was dressed in his hero costume. "I'm just popping in to tell you that I've got the meeting this morning and might not be here again for last minute practice," he explained. "I should be able to make it tomorrow."

"That's great, but couldn't you have texted me that or something?" You yawned.

"Yeah, well, I thought it'd be better to tell you in person."

"As long as you can make it to the event tomorrow and don't interrupt my sleep I'll be fine," you murmured. You leaned forward, too sleepy to stand on your own, and fell into Hizashi's arms.

"When did you sleep last night?" Hizashi asked. He let himself into your house with you in his arms.

"Late," you answered. "I was helping Shota get ready."

"What do you mean?"

You smiled, your eyes still closed. "You should've seen him. He's so much more handsome and presentable with a suit and tie, and his hair in a bun like you, and he promised me he was going to shave! I had to bribe him with an early release of my next book just for him though."

"Hey, don't go talking about him like that!" He carried you to the coach and laid you there.

"You're jealous~!" You laughed. "I lent him my dad's suit and tie and it fit him perfectly. I got him to get his hair done too."

"Why did you have a suit and tie from your dad anyway?" Hizashi huffed at your comment.

"I borrowed it because I didn't want to buy a woman's suit for an interview." You hugged his arm. "I never gave it back since I moved out."

Hizashi nodded. "Are you always like this when you're tired?"

"I dunno, nobody's ever talked to me when I'm like this." You yawned again and rubbed your eyes. "I have different kinds of tired phases. This is the morning one."

"I don't think I want to know your other ones," Hizashi muttered.

"I have an overworked tired and a depressed tired and a sleepy tired. And maybe just a tired tired."

Hizashi chuckled. "Can you let go of my arm?"

You reluctantly let him go. "We haven't decided on a band name yet." You suddenly remembered. "I have to go apply today."

"Ah, just make one up, my little songbird." Hizashi chuckled.

"Songbird?" you asked, opening an eye.

"Yeah, 'cause you're a beautiful singer and just beautiful." Hizashi winked at you. "And when you're writing I'll call you word bird!"

"Trinket's the only bird here." You giggled. "And you should be the songbird. You literally have a cockatoo head crest."

"Hey, my hair style is fabulous."

"Mhm."

"Shush up," Hizashi scoffed at your sarcastic murmur, copying your line. "You sleep some more, sorry for waking you. I have to go now." He planted a kiss on your forehead.

"Good luck, have fun," you murmured. You felt something sharp and feathers on your head. "Hey, Trinket."

"Good luck, have fun!" Trinket repeated.

You heard Hizashi laugh, then the door closed. You decided to sleep a bit more before actually getting up and doing your morning chores and visiting Rina.

"Wake me up in an hour, Trinket," you told the cockatoo.

~♬~

"The way you put it makes it sound like you're drunk when you're tired." Rina laughed as you retold what happened that morning. She was also just as tired as you were, her voice raspy and eyes droopy. Trinket was in her hair this time, nestled in.

"Hey, I was up for a good cause," you argued. "If you saw Shota then you would've at least tried to do the same thing. You'd be surprised how much better he will look at the interview."

"I'll see your handiwork on the news," Rina said. "Hopefully it will be as good as you will be tomorrow at the event."

"Still nervous about that," you said anxiously. "This will be difficult without you."

"Just believe!" Rina exclaimed, making a hand motion. She coughed a bit. "You've got Hizashi on your side!"

"I'm worried he might not come," You said. "He had a meeting today about a U. A. student's kidnapping."

"I'm sure he will," Rina assured. "If not, well, it's not the end of the world."

"I'm not just doing it for the fun of it, Rina," you said. "It's for you."

"That's very nice and all," Rina said. "But it's the thought that counts and you winning is just a bonus."

"Just don't go into that depressive state again." You gave a dry laugh. "Do you have any ideas on a band name, by the way?"

"Our school band name was the Origami Sounds. I made a bunch of paper birds to add an effect to the songs we did." Rina thought about it for a moment. "Now that I think about it, it's just a combination of our quirks. Is the band name you're doing temporary?"

"Yeah, Hizashi and I probably won't be doing another collaboration or anything."

"Why are you still so hopeless?" Rina exclaimed. "You're his partner now, you're definitely going to be a band forever."

"I've heard of bands separating into their own solo singing, but never solo singers forming into a band." You shrugged. "And I'm going to be focused on my book after the event, so I won't have as much time to work on music."

"Just split your time." Rina paused again. "How about 'Voice of Sound' or 'Sound's Voice' or '[First Initial]HT'?"

"Was the last one just our first initials plus Trinket?" You chuckled.

"Hey, AJR is literally Adam, Jack, and Ryan."

"Okay fine, I'll think about it. "I'm leaning towards Voice of Sound, though."

"Great!"

"Although, it doesn't really make sense since a voice of a sound can just be any sound."

"Jeez, it doesn't have to make sense." Rina shrugged. She paused, thinking. "What about 'the Cockatwo,' spelled T-W-O instead of T-O-O? 'Cause you and Hizashi are two people, but including Trinket, it's a cockatoo. Get it?"

"Ooh, that's a play on words there. I like it. Except I never did like the word cockatoo because of the word cock in it."

The two of you chatted more about the event, then the kidnapping, then other random things.

Rina started coughing in a few minutes. You quickly activated your quirk and started humming with a low purr to minimize her painful coughs. "Get some rest and get well soon already," you murmured.

You watched as your best friend fell asleep, then quietly got up and walked towards the door. You were definitely feeling nervous about tomorrow.

~♪♫ ♪♫ ♪~
Chapter question!
Pft isn't Rina annoying, making the reader worry and stuff? What do you think about her character?