Chapter 32

You woke up the next morning on the couch without Hizashi but with a blanket over you. You yawned and stretched, looking around.

"Sleeping beauty awakens," a voice called. You looked over to see Hizashi smiling, standing without his crutches by the kitchen door holding a plate of pancakes.

"G'morning," You greeted tiredly. "That was the cheesiest line you could say to someone waking up." Hizashi shrugged, chuckling. "Aren't you injured?"

"Your quirk seemed to speed up the healing and I'm fine now!" Hizashi walked over and set the pancakes down on the table. "Just a bit of pain now and then, Dove." He gave you a kiss, then gave you a concerned look. "Did something happen last night?"

"What do you mean?" You avoided his gaze and sat up, focusing on the pancakes. You didn't know he cooked.

Hizashi ran a finger over your cheeks. "Scabby-ish. Tear stains?"

You rubbed off the stains. Were you crying while you slept? You did have a nightmare, you suddenly remembered.

"No, everything's fine," you lied. "Just had a nightmare that Rina... died."

Hizashi sat down next to you and hugged you. "I'm sure she'll be fine. If she has cancer, well, cancer patients usually live at least 10 years more, right?"

You nodded. "They used to live no more than 5 years. When quirks weren't a thing." When quirks weren't another cause of death, you silently added on. "Technology and stuff sure improves."

"I'll try to convince the hospital to do more for Rina," Hizashi suggested.

You shook your head. "It won't be fair for the other patients."

Hizashi paused and you ate the pancakes. "The hospital called early this morning."

Your head snapped up from the pancakes. "What'd they say?"

"She's in a stable condition, but they're not taking visitors for now."

You let your fork rest on the plate. You saw Trinket fly in from the kitchen and land on Hizashi's head.

The two of you stayed silent as you played with your food. You glanced at Hizashi, who ignored the cockatoo in his hair and still had an arm around you.

"You're quieter than usual," you commented.

"I'm wondering why you're quieter than usual," he replied. "Something else definitely happened."

You shook your head, denying it.

"We've been hanging out for two months working on a song and officially together, [Y/N]. You can tell me."

"Together for like 5 days after you actually confessed."

"Hey, I made the first move when you came over!"

You laughed lightly, conceding. "It's fine. I'll figure out everything myself."

"So something did happen," Hizashi pointed out. "You're not denying it."

"I'm not confirming it." You stuffed your mouth with pancakes, finishing the rest quickly and ignoring him. "Thanks for breakfast, 'Zashi. Didn't know you cooked."

"No problem," Hizashi said, reluctantly letting the topic drop. "I rarely do, but since you seemed tired and sad I thought I'd make you breakfast. You had the ingredients, too."

You nodded, grabbing a napkin to wipe your fingers and mouth, sticky from the maple syrup.

Before you wiped your lips, Hizashi leaned in for a kiss and licked the corners. "Maple syrup. Sweet." He smirked as you reddened.