Chapter 29

Hizashi had fallen asleep on the couch and your throat started to hurt again from healing him a bit more.

He woke up for lunch a few hours later, which was a sandwich you made. By then your throat stopped hurting and the two of you chatted for hours, and he got you to sing some songs with him.

You two played with Trinket, getting her to sing different songs and click her beak to the beat.

You also worked on your poems, finishing your quota quickly.

"We really should collaborate more," Hizashi offered. "I bet your fans will love it!"

"Your fans, you mean."

"Maybe the reason why you're not that famous is because you barely reveal your face," Hizashi said. "You should be more confident! You have a beautiful face."

You wouldn't mind doing more collaborations with him if he wasn't always so flirty with you when you were together.

His injury hurt less after your quirk helped it, but you forced him to rest more.

"I have my jobs!" Hizashi protested.

"Shota told me other heroes were going to cover for you," you said, surprising him. You called him about it when Hizashi was sleeping.

"You got his number?"

You nodded, laughing at his expression.

~♬~

Hours flew by and you managed to lull the hyperactive hero to sleep again.

You received a call from Lina right afterwards. She told you that the twins were over at her place and they wanted to talk to you personally. Apparently they were staying over at her place for their trip in Japan.

You debated over whether or not to go.

Your curiosity won over your patience, and you left a note on his forehead saying that you were at your editor's house and you would be back later.

It was almost dinner time, so you left some warm ramen on the table next to him. He wouldn't need to get up, and if he did you left the crutches by him.

"Take care of Hizashi for me," you told Trinket, waving at the bird when you left.

You wondered what she was capable of other than mimicking sounds and carrying small objects.

It was raining harder now, so you brought an umbrella and kept your notebook in your bag. You made it to Lina's in a few minutes since you were walking fast. You climbed the stairs to the second floor and wondered if Lina or Kaito heard about what happened to Rina.

Instead of Lina or Kaito opening the door, however, Mason did. He had a serious look on his face and behind him Mabel sat on the couch, her constant large smile gone. You began to worry about what this was going to be about.

Lina's head popped in from another room, holding a phone to her ear. She waved at you, then continued talking.

"What's wrong?" You asked the twins.

"We're sorry about Rina," Mason said. He had a guilty look in his eyes.

You frowned. They did hear about her. "Yeah, the doctors are still trying to find what's wrong with her."

"We know what's wrong with her," Mason murmured.

"What do you mean?" Your eyes widen.

The two of you sat down at the couch next to Mabel. Before either one of the twins could start explaining, Lina returned.

"Sorry, Kaito called about his job with Best Jeanist. Kaito had to do some work since Best Jeanist was severely injured while helping with the rescue. I told him about Rina." She looked over to the twins. "They came over and wanted to tell us about something important."

You nodded. "What's wrong with Rina?"

Mason and Mabel stayed silent for a while, as if they were having second thoughts about this. Finally, Mason spoke up.

"Do you know Nala Hami?"

You nodded immediately. "What does she have to do with this?"

"Her quirk." Mason nudged Mabel. She looked away. You looked at them suspiciously. When Mabel didn't budge, Mason sighed. "Okay, so her quirk is Parasite."

You froze. Just the quirk name gave you an idea of what it could do.

"She told us she could help us win the Battle of the Bands," Mason said.

"What does this have to do with that?" You demanded.

"We... we were jealous." Mason looked down guiltily. "You and Rina always won the contests every year you joined. We didn't stand a chance."

You stared at them in disbelief.

"Hami said she could make it so that you couldn't join," Mason continued. "Since you need at least two people to apply. And you only had Rina."

You looked at Mabel, to see if she had anything to say, and tell you that this wasn't true. You knew her; she hated that people thought her quirk was manipulative and cunning. She wasn't like that. She liked to do things fairly and truthfully.

Mabel avoided your gaze. You saw that Lina had the same surprised look as you.

"It's not her fault," Mason said desperately, noticing you staring at her. "I was the one who accepted her offer and told her to do it."

"We both did it," Mabel whispered. She hugged herself, eyes downcast. "We're both to blame."

"What... What exactly did she say she was going to do?" You asked, finally finding your voice.

"She said she'd put Rina out of commission for a while, when the event starts," Mason explained. "We didn't know she was sick since last year."

"She'd help you, no strings attached?" You asked. "Attacking a stranger for you? And you accepting that offer from a stranger?"

"She wasn't a stranger. We met her in the U. S. at a concert and she said that she was a friend of a friend's, another person by the name of Lina."

You and Lina looked at each other. Before Mason could continue, you asked, "Do you know another Kaito?"

"The other Lina mentioned that name, why?"

"They're villains around here," Lina said. "[Y/N]'s boyfriend bumped into them a while ago."

Mabel finally looked up. "We met them quite a few years ago and haven't spoken with them in a while. They offered to do a music video with us, though. Just as one of many background characters."

"Hami said she knew them," Mason added on. "We talked for a bit and told her about the Battle of the Bands here, and about you. She offered to help us win with her quirk if we let her be in our next official music video."

"What? Why would she want that?" Lina asked.

Mason shrugged. "Could be anything. Exposure, maybe. She didn't ask to get paid."

You were still trying to process all this in your head and how this connected to Rina's condition.

"What exactly does her quirk do?" You questioned.

"She said it worked pretty much like a parasite. It saps energy from a host. We're not sure exactly the amount of damage it can do."

You put your head in your hands, not sure what to feel. A mix of anger, disappointment, and disbelief swirled in you.

So it was Hami's fault. And the twins got her to do it. It was their fault. All of their fault.

~♪♫ ♪♫ ♪~
Chapter question!
When I put in music videos, should I write the lyrics out or just the video? Or some of the lyrics?