002| YURTLE

CHAPTER TWO
•YURTLE•

November 6, 198322:17The Henderson Home

November 6, 1983
22:17
The Henderson Home

"Shh." The boy, Dustin, Ten had learned instructed, putting a finger to his mouth as he lead the girl inside his house, "My mom's sleeping, we gotta be quiet."

Ten nodded her head, doing the motion Dustin had done with one hand while the boy held onto the other, leading the girl through the front door.

Ten was in awe. She had never been inside a house before, it looked nothing like the lab. It was small, but had yellow walls, and warm carpeting. Ten was then lead into a room, Dustin following her as he shut the door and turned on the light, smiling at her.

Ten narrowed her eyes, looking at the lack of his front teeth, she then mimicked his smile, pointing to her own teeth.

The boy nodded, "Yeah, I know, my baby teeth are still coming in." Ten nodded carefully as she looked around the room, her eyes landing on some sort of tank as she walked over to it. Inside was a small log, and lots of grass and plants, suddenly a small head popped out of a shell and looked at her, it's eyes blinking under the red light.

"Yeah," Ten flinched slightly as Dustin appeared beside her, also looking in the tank, "That's Yurtle."

She looked from Dustin to the inside of the tank, "Yurtle." She repeated, the name sounding weird on her tongue as she looked at the creature.

"You can talk, good." Dustin told her, standing up and going to sit on his bed, patting the seat beside him which Ten took as a cue to sit down as well, "I'm Dustin, but you know that, what's your name?"

Ten didn't answer, instead looking around the room at all of Dustin's books and toys, not paying attention as Dustin listed off many other questions.

"Where are you parents? Why is your hair so short? Why were you in the road? Did you go to the hospital? Do you have cancer? Do you need me to call someone? Are you hungry?" At the last question Ten looked over at him, her eyes wide at the mention of food causing Dustin to smile, "Hungry it is."

A few minutes later the two children both sat on Dustin's bed, candy wrappers surrounding them as they had dug into Dustin's Halloween haul.

Ten studied a silver wrapper in her hands, causing Dustin to look over at her. "Oh, that's a
Snickers, my favorite. It's good, try it." He nodded at her, the outside of his mouth stained with chocolate. The girl nodded at him before carefully opening it up like Dustin had showed her and taking a small bite, her eyes widening at the flavor, causing her to frantically take another bite causing Dustin to laugh.