031| DROWNED

July 1, 198514:32Hawkins Public Pool

July 1, 1985
14:32
Hawkins Public Pool

After grabbing their bikes from Max's backyard and their raincoats, the three girls peddled through the heavy rain and wind all the way to the Hawkins Public Pool. Once they hopped off their bikes they made their way through the group of fleeing swimmers, those anxious to get home and out of the rain.

Teddy pulled her light green raincoat tighter to her body, her hood down across her eyes as Max guided her and El to the information booth of the pool building where two bored looking lifeguards sat.

"No one in the pool until 30 minutes after the last strike." The man said in a bored tone as he flipped through a magazine, almost like he was being forced to say those words, "No exceptions. If you wanna get electrocuted go climb a tree."

"We're not here to swim." El grumbled as she unzipped her own red rain jacket, already annoyed with the man in front of her

"Or get electrocuted." Max added, pushing a strand of wet hair behind her ear.

Teddy then pulled the red fanny pack out of her pocket, holding it up so the lifeguards could see it, "We found this. Does it belong to someone?"

The man looked at it for a second or two before nodding, looking back down at his magazine, "Oh yeah. That's Heather's. I'll get it back to her."

"No." Teddy said defensively, holding the fanny pack a little tighter. She needed to see Heather, find out where she is.

"Uh," Max jumped in, noticing the suspicious look on the man's face, "We could give it to her."

"You could." The man looked annoyed now, "But she's not here. Bailed on me today."

"Billy has her." Teddy whispered into El and Max's minds, the girls all looking at each other as the man stared at them.

"What is this?" The lifeguard questioned, "You girls want a reward or something?"

"No," Max sent a sarcastic smile to the two, "We're just good samaritans."

The girls moved away from the information booth, now standing by a wall of bulletin boards, "Now what?" Max asked, clearly the other lifeguards were no help.

El's eyes traveled around, landing on a cork board that held the words MEET YOUR LIFEGUARDS with photos of all the staff at the pool underneath. She made her way towards it, the others not far behind.

Teddy's eyes scanned the pictures, frowning at Billy's before moving next to it to see a pretty girl with long brown hair, Heather scribbled underneath it in black marker.