019| MICHIGAN

CHAPTER NINETEEN
•MICHIGAN•

November 3, 198409:21The Woods

November 3, 1984
09:21
The Woods

Michigan.

That's where the man was, Ron Barnes. The man from the lab. That's where he was, and that's where Ten had to go.

Both Teddy and El stood at the very edge of the woods. They had left the cabin early that morning when Hopper hadn't come home and were now ready to go off.

This is where they had to part ways.

"In your mind. If you need me." Ten struggled out as she pulled away from the hug with El, both girls had tears streaming down their faces. The two hadn't been away from each other in more than a year.

El nodded, her eyes boring into Ten's as she pleaded once again, "Come with me."

Ten shook her head sadly, as she brushed a curl from El's face, she had to go her own way, "Can't." She choked out, snot falling down her face, "But see you soon."

"Really soon?" El questioned, gripping onto the other girl's hand causing her to nod.

"Yeah," Teddy promised, "Really, really soon."

The girls stood like that for a few minutes, hands intertwined as their stared at each other with wet eyes, taking each other in. They had been each other's rock almost their whole lives, each other's halves. It was devastating to part, even if only for a few days.

"Teddy..." El trailed off, her eyes staring at the other girl as Ten nodded.

"Yes?"

El quickly pulled the taller girl into a hug, burying her face in her shoulder as the two held on tight to one another. All their lives they had spent trying never to separate, to stay together, but this was something they needed to do alone.

They stayed like that for a few minutes. The two strange girls hugging in the woods like their lives depended on it. Eventually they pulled away, one hand still linked as they didn't even bother to try and wipe the tears away.

"Soon." Teddy promised as El nodded, squeezing Teddy's hand in her own.

"Soon."

-

The large room was bustling with people, the most people Ten had ever seen. Her brown eyes scanned around the room, taking in everything the busy bus station had to offer.