009| COMPASS

CHAPTER NINE
•COMPASS•

 November 10, 198317:52The Woods

November 10, 1983
17:52
The Woods

Less than an hour later, the boys had changed and Dustin had lead everyone off into the woods, following the compasses direction. Dustin and Lucas lead the pack with the two girls side by side in the middle, Mike not far behind.

Ten looked up from where she was walking on the line of the railroad track over to Eleven who nodded, it was time to begin. Teddy nodded as well, falling back a few steps and landing next to Mike who offered her a smile which she weakly returned.

She glanced at the compass in his hand, watching carefully as the small line changed direction, knowing it was Eleven. Even though Ten knew she and El were keeping the boys away she couldn't help but think back to when the gate was first opened, her breathing getting heavy as she did so.

Ten sat on her bed, knees pulled to her chest as Papa sat down next to her with a brown box in his hands. She glanced up from the box to the man who held it out to her.

"Me?" She motioned towards the box causing Papa to nod at her with a smile.

"Yes, Ten, for you. Go on open it." Ten nodded as she carefully took the lid off of the box placing it down to see yellow fabric inside. She looked at Papa who nodded at her to continue, watching as she pulled the dress out.

"Pretty." Ten whispered, rubbing the soft fabric between her fingers.

Papa nodded, "It will look nice on you. I want you to wear it, it's a big day."

"Big day?" Ten asked the man, looking up from the dress.

"Yes, yes. Eleven is going very far today, farther then ever and I think it would nice for you to be there, hmm? For emotional support." Ten looked from the man back to the yellow dress, holding it close before nodding.

"Support."

A few hours later Ten stood in her yellow dress and black flats inside of the room holding the bath. She looked at it as it loomed over her, even though she wasn't going in it today it still caused her stomach to jump.

Ten then felt a squeeze on her hand, looking up at Papa who was holding it in his own. He looked at her with a smile before glancing over to where Eleven was being lead into the room. The girl looked around for a minute, eyes softening when they landed on Ten and Papa as she was ushered up the stairs to be suited up.

As Eleven was lowered down into the water Ten sent her a small wave with her free hand just as the door to the tank slammed shut.