Chilly weather

As Bayla walked through the chilly weather, her boots crunched the snow underneath them as her lungs filled with cold air. It had been days since Jasper and Alice has crossed over the treaty to leave to an unknown destination, days since Esme and Carlisle had left to London, and days since Edward, Bella, Jake and Nessie and left to visit Edwards family in Alaska, all hoping to gain witnesses to stand against the Volturi.

Bayla wanted to help in some way, any way, but she knew there was nothing she could do, so instead of dwelling and waiting impatiently for the returns she opted for 15 minute walks a day to help clear her mind. She had always came to the same spot, a small clearing behind Paul and hers house where a small lake was frozen over. The trees were laced with snow that sat upon them, as the sun shone lazily down behind a cloud, though it warmed nothing in the small town.
She smiled as she reached her favorite spot and sat down on a near log, picking up small rocks and tossing them onto the lake, watching as the glided across the top.

Her cold fingers rested in her mittens that Paul had bought her and the beanie on her head kept most of the cold out but she tossed up her hood of her jacket and rubbed her hands together, forgetting just how cold it was during the winter months. Lazily getting up she walked towards the lake and carefully stepped on it, happy when no cracks were made.
Stepping out onto the iced over lake she took slow steps as she walked around, remembering when she was just a child and would do the same with Bella .

Paul watched from a tree, not wanting his imprint to fall through, and smiled at how graceful she was. Her long hair fell past her mid back now, her facial features were sharp and chiseled as the years passed by them both, and her child like features were now gone, she was truly a sight to see and as Paul's fingers danced nervously around in his pocket he found the diamond ring safely tucked away. Smiling to himself he walked over to the log and waited for her to join his side.

As she waltzed over to his side and sat down, instantly scooting beside him for his warmth she grinned widely, happy for the little moment they got to enjoy to themselves.
"How do you think this will all end?" Bayla asked, absentmindedly staring at the frozen lake in front of her.
"Happy." Paul said. After all, there had to be a happy ending somewhere right?
Bayla scoffed beside him and rolled her eyes .
"Your so damn cheesy Paul" Bayla said knowing he was just saying what she wanted to here at the moment .

"Yea but you love me anyways" Paul said as he nudged her gently. As their eyes met and she smiled softly he felt a fit of butterflies in his stomach, he wondered if now was the right time to ask her to marry him, if she was too stressed to asked, and as Bayla's phone rang with a text from Bella and her face fell softly, he knew it wasn't and sighed softly .

"What it's say?" He asked, now taking time to stuff the ring further down into his pockets.
" Volturi will be here when the snow sticks to the ground..they have witnesses at the Cullens house, she told me not to come over, but asked me to ask Sam if Nessie, her and Edward could cross the treaty to have a conversation with him" Bayla asked as she scrunched her eyebrows up in confusion.

"Conversation about what?" Paul asked, snapping his attention to Bayla .
"I don't know...should we go to Sam's?" Bayla asked, taking the time to put her phone away and join her hand with Paul's.
"Yea, come on. Let's get you out of this cold before you freeze to death" Paul said.
As the two walked back towards the house to his truck there fingers were intertwined and the only thing on Paul's mind was the ring that had been weighing heavily in his pockets the last few months.

*************************************************
"So let me get this straight. You want me to take my pack with your family to meet these head vampires who are more deadly then you are, just to state your daughter is half human?" Sam asked with a blank expression.
"I know it is a lot to ask..however we need all the witnesses we can muster up. My daughter, my whole family will be slaughtered, possibly even the town if the Volturi felt necessary, just by someone's selfless accusations." Edward stated .

Bayla and Paul listened in as Jake distracted nessie with coloring books and cookies Emily had made .
Sam pondered the thought, taking the time to glance over at the child who was scribbling away with a smile on her face.
"I won't fight. I will stand as a witness, you have my word for that, but if it comes to a fight my lack and I, including Bayla, will leave. I won't take any losses" Sam said as he met Edwards stare.
Edward and Bella both smiled and nodded their heads, while Bayla smiled at Paul happily.

"I wouldn't expect anything less. Thankyou Sam. Alice said as the snow sticks to the ground they will be here, we are all meeting at the clearing where the newborns came through" Edward said as he stood up and offered his hand out . Sam shook his hand and nodded his head, smiling as Emily joined his side with a faint smile .
"She truly is something else. Congratulations" Emily said with a warm smile .
"Thankyou, both of you. I know it is asking a lot, and I'm glad we can count on you all" Bella said, the first kind thing she had said to Sam and Emily in the past few months, words that would stick with all.