Chapter 40

A week later

Molly's POV

"What are you doing here Molly?" Felix calls, his voice pained, "Inferno is gone. He's dead. We killed him."

"I have a bad feeling about this whole thing, Felix," I answer simply, still shuffling through Inferno's endless stacks of papers in the the boxes surrounding the room he used as an office in the hideout.

"When are you gonna let this go?"

"When I know for sure he's dead, Felix!" I shout, "Then I can take a breath."

He sighs, "Molly, please, give it up. You're supposed to be moving in with Calum in a week. You have a newborn daughter-"

"I can't give it up, Felix. I can't. God, I've fucking tried. Everyday, I can see that Calum knows I'm lying to him when I tell him I've just been hanging out with you. I can see how much it kills him that I'm still here everyday, sifting through this stuff trying to figure out something when I don't even know where to start. Believe me, this is last thing I want to be doing. I want nothing more than to just go home and sit with Calum and Zara and watch her as she just stares around. I want to curl up by Calum and put on some stupid movie and just make out the entire time. I want to be done with Inferno. I want to be done!" I slam my fists down on the desk. It rattles, sending a stack of papers flying to the floor. I sink down to my knees, feeling defeated. Felix sinks down beside me, pulling me against his chest, trying to soothe me.

"They haven't burned his body yet, Molly," he says softly to me. I jerk out of his arms, my eyes wide in shock.

"What? I thought they were supposed to like two days after we killed him?"

"They were. Some family member was protesting it though and ended up getting it delayed. It's supposed to be burned later today. Do you want to come? You can check out the body and see it's for real and watch them put it in the furnace. Would you finally get closure then?" I nod, my heart racing at the thought of finally being done with this and Inferno. Felix nods and helps me up to my feet. We silently make our way out to his police cruiser together.

~

"Hey Molls- oh for the love of God. Why the fuck are you in your Psyche clothes right now? You had a baby a week ago," Luke scolds, looking up from Zara, who is sleeping on his chest. I pull off my mask and toss it onto the coffee table as I sit down on the couch by his feet.

I reach over and scoop Zara off of him, pulling her tiny body against mine, "I was at Inferno's hideout, trying to see if I could find any clue as to whether or not he was immune to Mercury."

"And?" He sits up, suddenly more alert. I don't hesitate before lying.

"Felix found me, then took me to watch his body being burned. Inferno is definitely dead. If he does try to come back, he's gonna have a hell of a time getting his scattered ashes to get back together the right way."

"So you're done obsessing over this and can finally relax?"

"Until the next super villain pops up," I giggle, mostly teasing him. Luke groans, resting his head on my shoulder.

"No more," he pleads, "I'm so tired of being held as a hostage."

"I won't go seeking them out," I assure him, my heart aching, "Promise. Now can you hold Zara while I run upstairs and change really quickly before Calum gets back? I don't want him to know-"

"Sure," he agrees, taking her back, "But I'm not done with this conversation." I nod, grab my mask, and move up to my room to get changed, my head pounding as I think about what's to come.