Chapter 39

Molly's POV

"Hey Molly!" Felix greets, hugging me tightly as soon as I open the front door.

"What are you doing here?" I laugh, squeezing him tight, "I haven't seen you since we stormed Inferno's warehouse together, and I died."

"I know. Work has been insane with trying to process everything since Inferno and all of his shit. How long have you been back home?" We move into the living room, where Zara is currently sleeping in the pop up crib.

"Two days," I answer, glancing down at my sleeping baby, a smile on my face as I stare at her tiny features, "Today's the first day we've been alone though. Calum stayed home from the studio yesterday to be with us. The boys really needed him to record bass to-" Something smacks into the side of my head, knocking me to the floor. My vision swims as I look up at Felix. He grins menacingly down at me, a gun in his hand.

"Felix-"

"Oh shut up, Psyche. You didn't actually think I wouldn't account for Mercury when trying to get my powers, did you?" I watch in horror as Felix's face and body melt away to reveal Inferno. He jabs something into my leg, making my body burn and my limbs go numb. "I wonder how easy it'll be to raise the world's first super baby into a super villain."

~

I jerk up in bed, my heart racing from the bad dream I just had. I scramble out of bed and over to the crib in the corner of my room, gasping for breath. Zara lays there, sleeping soundly. I nearly cry out in relief, my entire body on edge. I resist the urge to reach down and grab her. I settle for brushing some of her dark hair back away from her eyes.

"Molly?" Calum calls out, his voice groggy. I glance over and see his shadowy silhouette as he sits up in my bed, "Babe, what's wrong?"

"Nothing," I answer, "I just had a bad dream. I-" Calum's sighs and pats the bed beside him. I give in and move back over to him, knowing that I'm acting a little obsessive and crazy. Duke curls back up against my legs, sighing softly as he drifts back to sleep.

"Do you want to talk about it, honey?"

"No," I answer, leaning against his warm frame, "I don't ever want to think about it again. But I can't help it. I can't stop. Everything-"

"Molly," Calum kisses my forehead, "talk to me. It's obviously bothering you a lot."

"What if I, or Felix and I, didn't actually kill Inferno? What if it's like what happened with Tremor where we only thought he was dead?"

"You guys got Inferno with Mercury. With Tremor, you only killed him the normal way. Mercury is supposed to be the final end for supers."

"But what if Ryans knew that and tried to work around it when giving himself powers?"

"Whatever happens, please don't run away again, Molly. Please, I'm begging you. I can't lose you again. Zara and I can't lose you," Calum clings to me, one hand on my waist and the other tangled in my hair.

"I won't," I reply, my voice shaking. He sighs, not believing my words. But he doesn't mention it, which I appreciate. Instead, we both lay back down. Within a few minutes, Calum is back asleep, snoring softly. I lay there in the dark room, staring at the shadows as my mind races.