iii. | the man with a crossbow

A BLOND HAIRED WOMAN LAID IN HER OWN POOL OF BLOOD

A BLOND HAIRED WOMAN LAID IN HER OWN POOL OF BLOOD. A fresh bite mark embedded into her neck, her body limp, her eyes glazed with no emotion. Another body was hunched over her, their fingers digging within her stomach as they ripped it open, blood splattering all over the Walsh family portrait.

The front door abruptly opened, the gaze of the walker snapping their dead, gray eyes over to the door, the scent of something alive wafting in it's nose.

The eldest Walsh child only put one foot into the house, before a choked sob exploded from her mouth. The walker staggered to it's feet, snarling at the father and the daughter.

"Ella, stay back." he told her.

"But-"

"Stay back," he ordered. She nodded slowly, stepping back outside. "Hey, man, hey!" no answer. "I'm going to count to three, before-" there was a small grunt of struggle as Shane pushed the thing away from him. He gasped when he took in the image of his wife laying dead on the ground.

While he was distracted, the walker lunged at him, causing them both to topple down on the ground. Ella widened her eyes when she watched that happen.

Her brown eyes gazed over to a gun laying on the bookshelf. She took in a deep breath as her father struggled, yelling for her to hand him the gun. She took another breath then walked inside and grabbed hold of the gun.

Her hands shook as she lifted it off the shelf, spinning her heel towards her struggling father who was reaching his arm out to her to hand him the gun.

As the walker's teeth got closer to his face, her breath hitched. She cocked the gun back and bent down to hand him the gun so he could shoot the walker on top of him, before she noticed her mother had sat up.

"Mom?" she called out. Her mother slowly looked in her direction, her face blank. "Mom, ar-"

"Ella, shoot her!" Shane screamed. "That's not her, that's not her! She's dead! This thing ripped her apart!"

She nodded her head and aimed her mother down in her sights, her hands trembling as her father held the walker away from his face. She took a deep breath in. "I'm so sorry, mom."

Ella squeezed the trigger, a gunshot ringing in her ears as it hit her mother square in the forehead.

+

Ella shot up from her bed, gasping. Sweat beads dribbled across her forehead. She caught her breath, curling her fingers around her blanket, tears in her dark eyes.

Once she got ahold of herself, she threw her legs over her bedcot and took deep, shallow breaths. She ran her hands over her face, adrenaline running through her body. She then got dressed for the day.

Outside, she could hear people having conversations. Mostly the men. She was surprised everyone was awake right now, it felt like it was six o' clock in the morning, but it probably wasn't around that time.