lxvii. | richmond, virginia

THE TWO FRIENDS who lost someone they loved and cared for every day of their lives not even a day ago, knowing the young bright girl with a future ahead of her if they had managed to get to Washington based on truth and not a lie to cure everyone

THE TWO FRIENDS who lost someone they loved and cared for every day of their lives not even a day ago, knowing the young bright girl with a future ahead of her if they had managed to get to Washington based on truth and not a lie to cure everyone. If whatever scenario happened would've never happened to her moments before they found the hospital to reunite with that girl after so long of not seeing her, of not knowing what happened to her. . . when they got there, it should've been that grant moment of being reunited like in the movies when the main characters are separated for years because of a war or they were kidnapped and they finally found each other after searching for so long and having given up to find each other. For the friends, it hadn't been years, it'd only been days, and they thought she was dead so they came to terms with that. Deep down, they hoped she wasn't. Only for her to be alive, then when they're so close, she's gone just like that all because of a single bullet shot into her skull.

They were sitting near a tree, consoling each other to the best of their power without falling apart while they did. Ella had her hand on Maggie's back while she danced her fingers around the strands of itchy grass and the prickle of pine leaves surrounding them. She felt for the woman completely. She knew exactly how Maggie was feeling right for she felt the same. They both lost their mother, a woman who tried to be a mother for them, their father, close friends they'd call family, and now they lost Beth; a sister they both shared with each other, blood or not. All within months, weeks, days of this apocalypse. After almost everything they've gone through, one would say it's amazing they haven't gone insane and turned into a nightmare quite yet.

Beth deserves to be with us, Ella thought. They were going to go to Richmond, Ella heard that from Rick and Noah when they were talking in the van. Richmond was secure, there were walls, everything they could hope for. They could try to have a life there. . . and Beth should've been there with them to find that home and to be safe, she wanted to be one of the ones to find Richmond with Noah. Though Ella wasn't sure if there was anywhere they could call home, everywhere they've made camp and tried to make it a home, it had always gone to ashes because of walkers or vile people. This world is cruel. It is not beautiful.

Ella sniffled from the though of Beth wanting to find Richmond with Noah and to find everyone else in the process. What a fucked up world. Her eyes watered from tears and she used her sleeve to wipe it off before Maggie saw and broke down. "Maggie." Ella began. The woman looked at her with teary eyes. "It's gonna be okay. Everything we do from now on will be for her. If we die, then we'll know we did everything we could to build a life for her. If we live, we build a home in her memory. Okay? Everything's going to be okay." she whispered, leaning down and pressing a kiss to her cheek.

Maggie frowned, tucking her arms underneath the knees huddled into her chest to give her warmth since she didn't have a coat or a jacket to keep her herself warm. "Yeah. . . that sounds great. She would like us to do that, I think." she nodded, the tears spilling from her reddened eyelids.