Chapter Twenty-Nine: Search and Destroy

Southeast Quadrant of Vale...
3rd Person POV

Ruby: I'll watch the parameters first.

Taking shelter in an abandoned apartment complex, the group consisting of everyone but Ruby lied about on small sheets. Bags used as pillows. The Tenno, lying against the dust filled walls, sat peacefully as Weiss lied beside him, using his legs as a pillow instead of a bag. While everyone's eyes were seemingly closed, Yang became the first to stop pretending.

Yang: Blake.

Ryoma: ?

Yang: Are you awake?

Blake: Yeah.

Yang: Why do you think he asked us about being a Huntress? Like, what was he trying to say?

Blake: Maybe he was just curious.

Yang: You think?

Blake: .... No.

Yang: Ryoma. Weiss. Are you two awake?

Ryoma: I am now.

Weiss: Of course I'm awake! You two are talking. And I think he...

Hearing her stop herself, the Tenno's curiousity overshadowed his tired state.

Ryoma: Weiss?

Weiss: When I said I wanted to honor my family's name, I meant it. But, it's not what you think. I'm not stupid. I'm fully aware of what my father has done with the Schnee Dust Company. Since he took control, our business has operated in a... moral gray area.

Blake: That's putting it lightly.

Weiss: Which is why I feel the need to make things right. If I had taken a job in Atlas, it wouldn't have changed anything. My father was not the start of our name, and I refuse to let him be the end of it.

Ryoma: Geez...

Blake: All my life, I fought for what I thought was right. I had a partner named Adam.

Ryoma: You had a partner?

Blake: More of a mentor, actually. He always assured me that what we were doing would make the world a better place. But of course, his idea of a perfect future turned out to be... not perfect for everyone. I joined the Academy because I knew that Huntsmen and Huntresses were regarded as the most noble warriors in the world; Always fighting for good. But I never really thought past that. When I leave the Academy, what will I... How can I undo so many years of hate?

Ryoma: Even if you had a plan, it's easier said than done.

Yang: I'm sure you'd figure it out. You're not one to back down from a challenge, Blake.

Blake: But I am! I do it all the time!

Ryoma: ....

Blake: When you learned I was a Faunus, I didn't know what to do, so I ran! When I realized my oldest partner had become a monster, I ran! Even my Semblance! I was born with the ability to leave behind a shadow of myself; An empty copy that takes the hit while I run away!

Ryoma: ... This is getting sadder to listen to by the minute.

Yang: At least you two have something that drives you.

Ryoma: Oh dear...

Yang: I've just kinda of always, gone with the flow, y'know? And that's fine, I mean, that's who I am. But how long can I really do that for? I wanna be a Huntress, not really because I want to be a hero, but because I want the adventure. I want a life where I won't know what tomorrow will bring. And that'll be a good thing. Being a Huntress just happens to line up with that.