Chapter Thirty-Two: A Gruesome Finale

Atlas Flagship...
In the Skies of Vale...
3rd Person POV

Winter: The finals have begun, Mr. Nagare.

Ryoma: Hmm?

Resting onboard the Atlas Military's finest flagship, the Tenno conversed with Winter Schnee as she displayed the Colosseum in Vale from one of the ship's many holograms.

Winter: I've informed the headmaster and the general, as well as my sister, of your inevitable return.

Ryoma: What about the last round?

Winter: She, alongside her friend, reigned victorious in the last match...

Winter: Though this time, I counted four missed strikes.

Ryoma: Well.... that's good to know.

Ryoma: I wonder which one of the two will-.

On the hologram, the voice of one of the Tenno's professors yelled out the answer.

Port: The first match of the finals will be... Yang Xiao Long and Mercury Black.

Ryoma: .....

Ryoma: Either they voted her in, or she chose to do it herself. Both of which, I can see happening. Guess I'll find out based upon her mood.

Winter: She's not participating in the finals?

Ryoma: Weiss?

Winter: Who else?

Ryoma: Apparently not.

Losing interest immediately, Winter stood up from her seat and walked away, leaving the Tenno to watch Yang's fight through the hologram. As he watched, the thoughts of the mission he had partaken in lingered in the back of his mind.

Ryoma: The corrupted are nothing more than the remnants of Orokin technology. That said...they only linger near Orokin architecture. Still... to have a void gate on Remnant... That would mean anyone in the Origin System could stumble upon the planet. An organized army could determine its destination.... and ultimately...its coordinates.

Port: What a way to kick off the finals!

Oobleck: Yang Xiao Long wins!

In thinking to himself, he watched as Yang bowed to her hunched over opponent before taking a few steps away to leave. After taking a few steps, he noticed something off about Yang. Her usual calm, relaxed body language immediately tensed up from head to toe.

Ryoma: ?

Ryoma: That's o-.

*CRAAAACK!*

Mercury: AAAHHHH!

Ryoma: !?

On the hologram, a tensed Yang Xiao Long had stepped back towards her opponent, still lying on the ground. Taking her gauntlet, she'd fire upon his leg, breaking it with a loud crack.

Ryoma: The hell was that, Yang!?

Winter: Hmm?

Oobleck: My word!

Port: Cut the cameras!

As the hologram cut to black, the Tenno stood in a mix of horror and confusion at what he had just witnessed.

Winter: Did something happen?

Ryoma: She just.... attacked her opponent while he was down.

Winter: That explains it.