Chapter Twenty-One

After months, and months of training, Jay had turned Mae into a different fighter, a stronger one, but most importantly, a smarter one. As the days went by, the training got harder. There was always more of it, and it got more intense. She was considerably different from when she came in; she was no longer a simple brawler. Mae improved greatly in every aspect, but even though she became a better fighter, she wanted to attain Ultra Instinct. That was her main goal. She wanted it so badly. Eventually, she found her way to its first phase -- Omen. She was sparring with Jay, but she had yet to learn and improve. He eventually knocked something in her, causing her to get to this state, but there was still more to do. It was a great form, but she wasn't complete. She needed to unlock its full potential and get back to the form without struggle.

As for then, she was powering up to reach what she could.

"Mae... Focus," Jay said as he saw her struggling to ascend.

Mae closed her eyes and controlled her breathing, letting everything fade away. All that mattered was the fight. She unleashed more energy and more heat. If Goku could do it, so could she. She let out a mighty roar as her energy surged. The silver aura around her expanded even further.

Jay was still watching. As she let out more energy, he thought, "Come on, just let it all out!"

Her hair kept flickering from black to silver as she put out more energy. The whole room was shaking from her power. As she let off even more heat, Jay had to brace himself.

"She can destroy all she wants, but she can't destroy my watermelon," Jay glared.

After a while, it looked like Mae was going to achieve ultra instinct. Jay could feel her heat, her determination... but she just couldn't... she couldn't get to the next level. At least, not yet. She struggled to power up until she eventually fell to the ground.

Her silver aura faded, and her eyes went back to black. "Damn it! Why can't I get passed this?"

"Hmm... What's the rush?" Jay asked while eating his watermelon.

"I dunno," Mae shook her head. "It's not really the rush. I'm just confused as to why I can't get passed the incomplete Ultra Instinct. I'm tryin' to follow the same path my dad did."

"Oh, his path," Jay replied.

"Maybe I should just try again," Mae jumped up and staggered a couple steps.

Jay shrugged, continuing to eat his watermelon while laying down. "Whatever, you do you."

"What do you think I'm doing wrong?" Mae asked. "You usually have some sort of tip for me."

"Maybe you're not ready, or maybe because... I don't know. When I can't go to the next level, my father usually tells me to focus, or he yells, "Go beyond your limits!" And boom. I attain a form. It was easy for me because it's moreover controlling your ki and using it to create more heat. I've mastered ki control for all my forms... or just in general, so maybe that helps. It's more that I keep a calm head. I don't forcefully push forward, I just let it all out. If you know what that means. I just search deep inside and release what I have within my body," Jay explained, closing his eyes and diving into his Mastered Ultra Instinct State. "Maybe we need to work on your ki a little more."

"But I've mastered all of my forms, you even helped me with Super Saiyan Ice." Mae sat down. "Whis once told me that I think too much. He was probably right. Maybe I just haven't gotten the hang of the incomplete Ultra Instinct."

"I may have an idea... It's kinda cheating, but... it'll work," Jay pondered.

"I don't like cheating," Mae frowned.