Chapter Twenty-Four

Monma was the first one in the dining hall. He snuck back out when his grandmother wasn't noticing, not bothering to sleep. On a table, he had all his gadgets he had been working on in the night. Around him were fruit and drinks to keep him working.

Miyako looked like she was about to scold the boy, but looked around and asked, "Is your cousin still sleeping?"

Monma shrugged and continued working, pulling on his safety goggles.

Back in Niya's room, she awoke before her husband. Trunks laid peacefully asleep in his black tank top. His breaths were light and soft. Niya smiled down at him and kissed his cheek. "I'll be right back," she whispered, then hurried to fetch something for them to eat.

"Yo!" Mae waved to Monma and Miyako as she and Jiren entered the room. "You guys see my dad or Vegeta?"

Monma grabbed his device and typed. "I haven't seen anyone but you guys so far. I haven't seen that little girl, Kenna, either."

"Dad, told me you can use telepathy. Both Jiren and I can use that as well, so if it's easier on you, you can do that." Mae sat down next to him and grabbed some food.

"I'll go check on them," Jiren decided.

Monma thought for a moment and reached for a collar like device. He strapped it around his neck and tapped the small speaker.

He looked at Mae, and as his larynx muscles moved, his voice was heard through the collar. "G... Good... morning," his real voice spoke. It was gentle and soft. He smiled brightly, "It... works!" It he thought long and hard about its design, his longest project of the night.

"Heh, that's handy. Did you make that yourself?" Mae asked.

Monma smiled, "Y-Yes! I'm the... bookworm and genius of the f-family." He was clearly proud of his achievements.

Miyako nodded. "Yes," she agreed, "And I'm sure you'll make a great King one day, too." She walked off for some breakfast, leaving Monma shocked to the core.

"Woah, you are gonna be a King?" Mae raised an eyebrow.

Monma mumbled to himself, "I thought Niya was supposed to become..." He shook his thoughts away and continued working on a sort of helmet. Niya hurried in and bumped into Miyako.

"Are you okay?" Mae asked, leaning forward towards him.

Monma concentrated. "I don't think I would be a suitable King," he confessed. "Niya is the eldest heir, so I thought she would be Queen. But grandmother is saying I am to be King of Planet Ayata? It is strange..."

Meanwhile, Niya grabbed two full plates and began to walk off towards her room. Miyako stopped her. "Where are you going with all that?" she asked.

Niya smiled with a hint of blush on her cheeks. "I haven't seen my husband enough for over a year, grandmother. I want to spend time with him." Miyako chuckled and waved her off.

Mae glanced over at Niya. "Why don't you think you would be a good King? You seem to have a good mind. Just look at those cool gadgets you have."

Monma embedded some of his crimson energy in the circuit board. From the inside, he began programming.

"Back home, I have been treated as if I am less than everyone because I was born a mute," he explained solemnly. "I could not communicate, so instead, I was locked away to study by my mother."

He winced at the board as it sent a tiny shock. "I only know books and maps and history. It was only when grandmother gave me my speech board that I was treated like a Prince," he continued. "I have gone on some diplomatic matters, like with Planet Namek, but I am not a socially accepted Prince. I am not very good with people anyway."