Chapter Twenty-Five

When night fell, everyone met back at the common area. Mae, Goku, and Vegeta all seemed eager to fight while Jiren stood expressionless, watching and waiting. Niya and Trunks had finally returned to the waiting area with expressions as if they weren't on good terms. Niya sat with Miyako and Monma, while Trunks chose to be near his father. Miyako didn't ask, nor did Monma, so instead, she smiled at Niya and made idle chatter. Monma even showed her his upgraded gear.

Vegeta glanced at his son, noticing the tension, but instead of saying anything about it, he just crossed his arms. "Make sure you give it your all, Trunks." Trunks simply nodded.

After a while of waiting, Kenna came running in, and bowed apologetically. "Sorry, I'm late! I can now explain the rules of the game!"

"There are rules?" Mae raised an eyebrow at the girl.

"Is this some sort of tournament?" Goku asked.

"Master Seriah was researching all your achievements, but was most impressed and inspired by the Tournament of Power," Kenna explained, disregarding the questions for now. It seemed like she had been forced a script, as she looked down at a card, and continued her speech. "This game will involve four levels. Each level will have an opponent to beat, but the higher you go, the harder the opponent will be. Of course, Master Seriah will be the last level, and will take the role of the Final Boss." She looked down again, quickly scanning the paper. "... She has, instead, only allowed two fighters per level, but all will be able to fight against her in the End. She has already decided each duo in accordance to strength and difficulty. I will now display her list. Please ask your questions now." Kenna took out a silver cylinder, place it on the floor, and it grew into a banner that displayed the teams and levels.

Level 1: Trunks and Monma
Level 2: Niya and Miyako
Level 3: Kakarot and Vegeta
Level 4: Mae and Jiren

"Tch, I have to fight with Kakarot?" Vegeta complained.

"We've worked together before, Vegeta!" Goku reminded him.

"Interesting she has me at the fourth level," Mae smirked.

Monma gave Trunks a small smile and a thumbs up. When Niya had disappeared, Monma had gotten to know Trunks a little bit. He knew he was a good person, and highly respected him for all the sacrifices he had made. Trunks returned the small smile and thumbs up.

Miyako rubbed Niya's back in reassurance. She would protect Niya to her last breath if need be again.

Kenna took out another piece of paper. "Master Seriah told me to mention she was going to place Mae in the third level, but because you..." The girl looked nervously at the swear words on the paper. "You made Master Seriah very upset so she... decided to have fun watching you suffer..." Kenna was nervously awaiting Mae's reaction.

Mae gave a wide grin. "Well, ain't that something." She laughed, "This should be amusing."

"Yeah, that sounds about right," Goku sighed.

Kenna placed her papers in her pockets, sweating bullets. "Um, are there any questions?"

"Is this an anything goes fight?" Vegeta asked.

Kenna thought for a moment. "Yes," she nodded. "You can use anything in the fight, except for methods of healing yourself. Even if it is an ability, Master Seriah has strictly ordered all healing can only take place after you've completed the level. Also, there may be no outside help besides words spoken." She thought for another moment. "Lastly, you may kill. The level will not end until all members of one side have been defeated." She glanced again at her papers. "Anything else?"

"So even if we knock them out, we have to kill them?" Jiren asked, stiffening at that command.

Kenna gave a nervous laugh. "I'm sorry. Let me rephrase," she thought, "An opponent is defeated if you knock them out of the ring. You can kill them or only render them unconscious or unable to fight. Your opponents all have the intention to kill you, however."