*- 3 - You really are an onion

The days flew by at Hogwarts. Before I could even realise what was going on, it was already Thursday, meaning that four days had gone by in about ... ten minutes, or so it seemed. 

The school was just great in every single way. I woke up, which was a little less great, but then got to get ready with three amazing girls. I had gotten to know them better over the past few days and I felt like I had already made three friends, which I hadn't even dreamed of before coming here. After that, there was breakfast, which was always delightful. Classes were great, food was great, people were great, the castle was great, did I mention that the food was great? So many new things were happening and even though it was exciting, I had little time to process it all.

I was now waiting in the hallway for Angelina. She had to go talk to professor Flitwick about an essay that was due. Even though Flitwick wasn't the best at keeping his students in order, I really liked him. He was so passionate about his course. I felt eyes burning on me and as soon as I made eye contact with a group of Slytherin girls, the blonde in front laughed. A group of mean girls? What would my school experience be like without it?

"What do we have here? Fresh meat?" the girl asked and I raised an eyebrow. She could have been pretty, but she had a nasty look on her face.

"What ditch did you crawl from?" she spat and her friends started to laugh. Who the hell did she think she was? I tried not to get angry, not wanting to give her the satisfaction. Katie, Angelina and Alicia weren't the biggest fans of Slytherin, but my aunt used to be one. My mum always described her as a good person, although I had never met her as she passed away during the First Wizarding War. People like this girl gave them a bad reputation, though.

"And what exactly is your problem?" I asked and inspected my nails whilst doing so. I should've just ignored her completely, but that wasn't in my nature.

"Didn't your mum tell you to look at a person when you talk to them, filthy half-blood?" she chided and I looked up, clenching my jaw. What a low remark, commenting on someone's blood status.

"Oh, that's right. You don't have a mum. Nor a dad. What a pathetic little orphan you are", she continued laughing. How cruel could someone really be? In the corner of my eyes I could see Fred and George looking at me worryingly. Fred mouthed something, but I couldn't concentrate on it whilst the blonde was still saying stuff about me.

I wanted to bite back, but  a Hufflepuff boy beat me to it, seemingly having heard the conversation. I couldn't see his face, but he seemed angry, as his fists were clenched.

"Merlin, aren't you ashamed of yourself?" he said and the blonde girl crossed her arms.

"Diggory, this is really none of your business", she said, but looked taken back a bit.

"I don't think her life is your business either. I suggest you go and leave her alone. Me being in Hufflepuff doesn't mean that I accept your behaviour", he said and I was confused. Why was he standing up for me like that? He didn't know me.

"Whatever", she said and walked away. The boy finally turned around and Merlin, he was handsome. He had bluish grey eyes and kind features. The messy hair framed his face and highlighted his strong jawline.

"You okay?" he asked.

"Uhm, yeah sure, thank you", I said, still confused. "You didn't have to, though, I could handle it", I said with a slight blush.

"I guess it's a Hufflepuff's human nature", he said with a smirk and extended his hand.

"Cedric Diggory, seventh year", he said.

"Y/N Y/L/N, sixth year", I said and he winked. "I know."

I looked at him puzzled, but I couldn't help but smile.