*- 26 - I thought you bloody cared

I found a great way to avoid Fred for a while. As long as I kept Cedric by my side, Fred wouldn't come near me. Since he was a year older than me, that wasn't always easy, but luckily I knew a place or two to hide.

He tried talking to me several times a day, but I didn't feel like it yet. Just looking at him made me angry. I guess the butterflies in my stomach had gone to bed.

At the beginning of the week, people would shout things or laugh at me, but I just rolled my eyes and ignored it until it passed. My friends would flick them off, but I didn't really care. Only when I was around Cedric, people didn't say anything, so I hung out with him more than normal. Cho was around a lot too and I got to know her a bit better. She was really nice.

Detention with Snape was an absolute nightmare. He would either have me write lines for over two hours straight, make me clean his classroom, organize all potion ingredients, scrub out cauldrons ...  and he would always make me stay longer than the two hours we agreed on. On Thursday I almost stayed three, but I didn't dare saying anything about it. I was exhausted at the end of every session.

Fred heard about the detention and tried everything to get detention from Snape too, which wasn't too difficult, but Snape would always give him detention after supper when I was having mine before. I guess he figured out what Fred was up to. I didn't mind this time. Two hours with Fred and Snape in a room was not on my bucket list.

"Y/N, can you please talk to Fred? He's driving us all crazy", Lee said as he dropped in the seat next to me. We sat next to each other in Charms, which was pretty fun. I liked Lee. He was always so cheerful.

"Seriously Lee?" I said and he shrugged.

"It's not fun when you two are fighting", he mumbled. "Plus, it's been over a week"

"He should've thought about that sooner."

Lee was right. It wasn't fun, but I sure as hell wasn't going to forgive him just like that. He wasn't getting out of this one so easily. Right now I wasn't really feeling anything towards him that was positive, so maybe being cold towards him wouldn't be so hard this time.

A piece of paper landed on my table. I looked at the side to see Fred looking at me, hopeful. I swished my wand and whispered the vanishing spell, making it go into non-being. I heard a sigh, but ignored it and continued to focus on Flitwick's class.

I was starving by the time lunch rolled around. I had a meeting with Hermione in the afternoon because she wanted me to teach her to make some potion she needed. I was surprised to hear that she was mediocre at a course. I had to be back in time for my last detention with Snape though. I was so looking forward to all of this being over.

FRED'S POV

To say I had messed up again would be the biggest understatement of the century. And yet I felt so much more than just regret. I was confused. Why did I do what I did? At first I thought it was because I wanted her attention, but that's bollocks. I could right now imagine a thousand ways that were far better to get Y/N's attention. I knew that she'd be angry, so why did I do it? Did I want her to be angry?

During the first couple of days, I spent my time trying to talk to her, trying to get in detention and pushing away all other thoughts, but as the days rolled by, I couldn't occupy myself with that anymore. And that's when my mind started spinning. I now knew why I did it, which made it so much worse and so much scarier.

I was scared.

I had never been in a serious relationship and every time I had any sort of contact with a girl, it would be either a friend or someone who didn't mean anything to me. Right now - at least before I screwed things up - I was in a position where I was ready to be in a relationship with a girl that meant the world to me. Or at least I thought I was ready. Deep down I was so scared of what was to come that I hurt that oh so special girl, just to delay being with her. I was afraid to mess up this special thing we had, so I did exactly that. It sounded contradictory, and it is, but it also sounded real.