seven

The boy held his breath, trying not to make too much sound. Thoughts were spiraling through his head, as he waited for enough people to join the match. It's the first one they'd been allowed in, and he was super anxious.

And a little rusty.

"Heyo, babe." a familiar voice chirped, their hand landing on Eli's shoulder. He flinched a bit, but soon relaxed when he saw it was just Naib.

"i can't wait for the match. Me, you, Helena, and a mystery person! So exciting!" he chirped, euphoria falling off of him in waves.

Eli just forced a smile.

The only thing he could focus on was... him.

Nothing else really mattered except that boy. The one with the stupid mask and the pretty eyes. Eli just sighed, resting his head on Naib's shoulder.

"What did I do that was so bad that he hates me now?" he questioned quietly, making Naib shiver at how his normally energetic friend was so quiet.

"I don't know. I really don't know, Eli." the other replied. Eli just shuttered, trying his best to stay calm. The match was going to start soon, and they needed to focus. The match would start soon anyways.

-:-:-

His fingers flew on the cold buttons, Leo's Memory never being a map he liked. Eli just bit his lips, blood threatening to spill. Nothing mattered. Aesop just had to join their match, and that meant there was a good chance they'd meet up at some point. Eli slammed his eyes shut. he had no idea what the reaction would be if he had to face him after all that happened.

Aesop hates me anyways...

The shivering boy just tried his best to focus on the cipher in front of him, for the hunter had already knocked down the blind girl we got stuck with. A soft, yet agitated sigh escaped my lips, as I finished the cipher. I went behind a tree, standing there in pain. His heart ached, but he couldn't really tell why.

"Damn it, Aesop... what did I do?"

His mumbling wasn't going to help anyone, so his feet snapped into action.

The tired boy took off at a run towards the other side of the map, no sounds to be heard. When he slowed down, a few small sounds made their way into his ears.

It sounded like someone was quietly struggling against something, like they wanted help but didn't want anyone's attention.

Eli walked a little closer, stopping in front of a small wall near some trees. Whatever was making the noise was on the other side. What made its way into Eli's ears, trough the wall, made him freeze up.

"P-please. Get off of me." A shallow whisper mumbled, emotion biting at their frail voice. The emotions injected into Eli's veins, pumping through his whole body like Adderall, every crazed thought stuck on high.

"S-stop it. I don't wan-want this-" they mumbled, but their voice was cut off by a sharp inhale.

Eli shivered, realization kicking in hard: his heart was hammering.

It wasn't the stupid way, where nothing glowed; all he could see was bright purple pulsation and the feeling of pure terror and betrayal.

Fuck.

The sound of a familiar, deep chuckle forced Eli to focus on the conversation once again.

"Shut it. I don't care what you feel. It's not important."

The sound of footsteps forced Eli into a crouch, his breathing becoming a little more rapid. The consistency of his heartbeat was the real thing to worry about.

Whatever hunter it was had a survivor.

"Listen here, kid. The boy obviously-"

The sounds of a harsh hiss and yell from a broken soul made Eli take off at a run. His ankles snapped into action, his breathing rapid.

Slowly, his heartbeat stopped glowing, but his chest was still hammering. Something more was going on, and the many drugs currently flowing through his system really didn't help his thinking. 

Everything sounded underwater, as someone shook his aching shoulders. He couldn't see through the tears. He had just been standing there, time passing. When Eli wiped his face, he saw a crying face in front of him. They were screaming something, ripping Eli's arm in the direction of an exit gate. He just stood there, his ground held still. 

"...please...Eli, now.... must...leave right now...DUMBASS!"

The last words flowing from the other person's mouth forced Eli's eyes open. His glance shot right at Aesop, who was ripping him forward, both of them stumbling from the unbalanced force. 

He had tears streaming down his face, which made Eli's heart ache really harshly. Eli was about to ask what was wrong, when realization slapped him in the face harder than Aesop did that night. 

Their hearts were beating. 

Really fast. 

And a bright red light was already filling Eli's vision from behind. 

"THE GATES ARE OPEN! YOU IDIOT! RUN!"

Aesop's voice was broken and harsh, but Eli couldn't bring himself to protest. Joseph was right behind him. 

Eli took off at full speed for the exit gate, the sound of a scream making his eyes clench shut tightly. Aesop was going to just stand there to save him? No...

Aesop doesn't really care. He just did because he's not an asshole, right?

Maybe.

it really didn't matter. The only thing that the frail, now crying boy could focus on was what he was going to say when he came back to the mansion without Aesop by his side.