eight

-:-:-Eli-:-:-

My feet moved quickly across the soil, as i continued to walk farther towards the manor. Everything felt so cold and distant, as I walked up the creaky stairs to the door. I've done this a million times, but never alone. It's been so hard to concentrate on things since this stupid heartbeat started. It isn't okay.

I'm not okay.

The cold feeling that washed over my body, piercing through my skin and penetrating deep under the layers of protection, forced me to shiver. My hand lingered above the handle, as if i was waiting for Aesop to come running up behind me, throwing his hand on my shoulder. Like i was expecting him to run up panting and laughing about how he just had to escape after me. 

No.

I left him.

I left him with Joseph, and that means...

"HE'LL BE IN THE BASEMENT!"

I ran as fast as I could through the manor, trying to get to the basement as fast as possible. That's where the rocket chairs that are in the basement of all the maps go. They can't shoot off, so they go underground, and the person in it gets tunneled to the basement here at the manor, instead of being shot into the air and thrown somewhere to be found broken. 

Why do I know he's in the basement? Because Joseph just loves to put us in rocket chairs down there, when he can, of course. When i made my way to the door to go down to the basement, a set of arms wrapped around my shoulders. 

Blood was pounding in my ears, that I couldn't hear anything. I just struggled against the person. They were screaming something in my ears, but I couldn't focus. I just collapsed into the person's arms, my hearing still kinda muffled.

"Eli... you can't go down there." Naib's voice cut through the musty atmosphere. I ripped from his hold, turning to face him. He looked shaken up. i just sneered. "And why the hell not?"

He frowned, before mumbling a quiet, "Listen..."

I turned towards the door, sound finally being clear in my ears. Someone was screaming in pure pain, there sobs horrifically familiar. It was Aesop. 

I turned back around quickly, looking at Naib. Tracy, Emma, Helena, and Kreacher were standing with him, all looking at me in what seemed to be worry and concern. I just sighed, looking over at my owl. It hurt a bit to focus, but I sent my owl down and out, straight to see what was happening. I felt Naib's hand on my shoulder. 

"What's happening."

Everything was clear as day.

"Aesop is crying. He's screaming about... Joseph. I cant't see him at all though. Emily is down there, holding him in a tight hug. He's bleeding a lot, well, someone is. Leo Beck is down there. He's yelling at Joseph. He's saying how he could've seriously hurt Aesop. He's saying... that he's out of matches for awhile. Shit... My owl is coming back."

When I opened my eyes again, I pulled up the strip of fabric that stays above my eyes, so I don't have to see through blue. 

"Naib looked concerned, Kreacher biting his lip hard. I put a finger to my lips, my ear going to the door so I could hear what was happening. 

"-NO EMILY! GET ME AWAY FROM HIM, LET ME GO UPSTAIRS!"

"Please! Please calm down! I can't let you run upstairs like this! You're too-"

"I just want to go to my room! That's all I'm asking! Please, Emily! I just want to get away from him! Please!" The way his voice wavered in, and you could barely understand his words through the heavy sobs made me upset. It felt like my heart was going to shoot out of my chest. 

"Aesop, you can't walk like this-"

"Just take me to my room! Get someone to take me to my room!"

"No one up there is willing to get all this blood on them. there is no one but El- there is no one." the way Emily cut off my name like that made me want to cry. Tears started to well up, but I immediately wiped them away.

Aesop's sobs just got louder and more hysterical. I clenched my eyes shut tightly.  

I can't take this for much longer. I can't do it. I can't do it.

"Uh, fine!" Emily yelled out, forcing me to back away from the door. The sound of struggling people trying to make their way up the stairs was enough to make my feet move. I ran upstairs, straight to my room. I can't take it. 

There is no way I can look at his beaten up body, knowing that it was all my fault. He could've just ran, but no. He did that, and it was my fault for thinking it was a good idea to leave him with Joseph. 

-:-:-

The heavy book in my hands fell to the floor, as someone started to heavily bang on my door. It had been awhile since I heard any noise at all, and reading was the only thing keeping me distracted. I had already put a black shirt and plain, black basketball shorts on for the night, so I looked completely different. 

Most people can't tell, because of my cloak, but my body is actually very small and very fragile. 

And very covered in wounds. 

I just sighed, jogging over to my door and throwing it open. there stood someone I never thought would come to my door like that. 

"Wu Chang?" 

He was wringing his hands, an obvious look of concern on his face. 

"Seer, survivor, Eli! Yeah, Eli. Uhm, we have an issue. The young embalmer won't leave his room, or let anyone in to help him clean up his little... mess. He wants to talk to you apparently. Would you please be a kind dear and help us out, before Mr. Beck breaks his door down out of annoyance?" he said, maintaining a very calm voice the whole time. 

Oh god... Aesop is about to beat the everliving shit out of me... 

Fuck.